Paleo & Whole30 Grilled Artichokes with a lemon garlic basting oil and a lemon garlic aioli dipping sauce. A delicious appetizer or side dish recipe! Paleo, Whole30, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, vegetarian, clean eating.
I thought I was already obsessed with artichokes. Then I made these Paleo & Whole30 grilled artichokes and oh my GOSH they are the best artichokes I have ever had!
My previous go to recipe for artichokes was to boil them whole. I finally gave grilled artichokes a chance, and I will never cook them any other way.
First, I trim the artichoke leaves and slice them all in half and boil them for about 20 minutes until they are slightly tender. Then I baste them on both sides in this to-die-for lemon garlic basting oil. Then I grill them cut side down for another 15 or 20 minutes, until the artichoke hearts are completely tender and the outer leaves have started to crisp.
Grilling them adds so much more flavor, and I love the added crisp textures to the leaves. And by basting them with the lemon garlic basting oil before grilling, the flavor gets grilled right in.
These artichokes are delicious on their own thanks to the lemon garlic basting oil, but to make them even more irresistible I serve them with a lemon garlic aioli. It’s so easy to make, and is the perfect dip for the leaves and the heart.
Not only are these grilled artichokes delicious, but they’re healthy too! Paleo, whole30, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free and vegetarian. Perfect summertime clean eating recipe.
I serve these grilled artichokes as a side dish, or as an appetizer. If I’m making them for a party, I save time by trimming, cutting and boiling them, then I refrigerate the boiled artichokes until it’s time to grill them. When it’s time to serve them, I baste them with the lemon garlic oil and then grill them.
- ½ olive oil
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt + pepper
- ½ cup homemade paleo & whole30 mayonnaise
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt + pepper (or more to taste)
- 4 medium artichokes, leaf tips trimmed, top 1" cut off, and sliced in half
- 1 lemon
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stir to combine. Set aside
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat your grill over high heat and clean the grill grates.
- Bring a large pot filled ⅔ full with water to a boil over high heat. Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon into the boiling water.
- Immediately after cutting the artichokes, add them to the boiling water to prevent them from turning brown.
- Boil for 20 minutes.
- Remove the artichokes from the water, and use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out the artichokes fuzzy center.
- Baste the cut side of the artichokes with the lemon garlic basting oil. Place the artichokes cut side DOWN on the grill, then baste the backs of the artichokes.
- Grill for another 15-20 minutes, or until the artichoke leaves start to get charred marks on the tips.
- Serve warm with the lemon garlic aioli.
More Paleo Side Dishes: