Winter kale and blood orange salad – a hearty and healthy salad with chicken, kale, red cabbage, carrots, pecans, avocado, blood oranges and a homemade blood orange balsamic vinaigrette. Paleo, Whole30, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free.
I have the prettiest salad to help you keep up with your healthy New Year choices! It has almost every color of the rainbow, with a bright pop from my favorite winter fruit.
As if winter oranges aren’t wonderful enough. Now there is the gorgeous and colorful blood orange that makes my salads pretty and pink and red. They’re the real star of this salad.
I also use the blood orange to make a homemade blood orange balsamic vinaigrette. Fresh orange juice is my favorite way to make a healthy, sugar free salad dressing. They add sweetness and brightness, so no sugar is needed.
If your diet allows it, I like adding in 1 teaspoon of pure maple syrup. It adds a touch more of natural sweetness and that delicious, earthy maple syrup flavor that compliments the blood orange and balsamic vinegar. But if you’re trying to avoid all sweeteners (hello Whole30!), then this dressing is still delicious without it.
The rest of the salad are some of my favorite winter produces. Kale (I love lacinto kale for this salad, but you can use any kale), red cabbage, carrots. All so crunchy and nutrient dense. I top it with some chicken breasts for protein, some roasted almonds for crunch, and kale for creaminess.
- 8 large kale leaves, stems removed, and cut into 1" pieces (I love lacinto kale for this salad!)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup cooked chicken breasts, sliced or shredded
- 1 or 2 blood oranges, skin cut off, and sliced (or you could just peel it and put in the segments)
- ½ and avocado, sliced
- ½ cup roasted pecans
- ¼ cup blood orange juice (from about 1 small blood orange)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (leave out for Whole30)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or small bowl. Shake or whisk to combine. Feel free to add more of any of the ingredients to suit your taste.
- In a medium size bowl, combine all ingredients, top with desired amount of dressing, and toss to combine.
More Salad Recipes