- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal (aka irish oatmeal)
- 1 cup granny smith apples, peeled and chopped medium
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
- 2. Stir in the oatmeal and apples. When the oatmeal begins to thicken, about 5 minutes, reduce the heat to low.
- 3. Simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Take off the heat, stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon. Serve warm with any other desired toppings.
If you don’t have granny smith apples, use any other apples you have on hand. But granny smith will give you the strongest apple flavor.
I don’t like my oatmeal too sweet, but if you like yours sweeter add in more brown sugar. You could also use agave nectar or honey.
I often triple this recipe, and reheat throughout the week. To reheat, cook in the microwave for 3 minutes, stirring in more water to thin to desired consistency. Will keep in the fridge for 1 week.
- Calories: 218
- Fat: 42g