- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with the rack in the upper third.
- In a small bowl, stir to combine the mayonnaise and pesto. In a separate small bowl, toss to combine the panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Using a meat mallet (or I use my metal soup ladle), lightly pound the chicken until it is an even thickness. This will make the chicken cook evenly, and help the panko parmesan topping adhere.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Evenly spread the pesto mixture on the top of each chicken breast, then top with panko parmesan topping. Lightly press the topping into the pesto mixture, then drizzle with olive oil. Transfer the chicken to a baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature** of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Allow to cool for 3 minutes, then serve. Is especially good served with my 15 minute creamy pesto pasta.
*This may sound weird, but the mayonnaise makes the chicken so creamy and moist. You’ll love it, I promise!
**I love using my meat thermometer. It’s a kitchen gadget I can’t live without. Now I never worry about undercooking or overcooking meat. Highly recommend!