- (1) 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Heat a sauce pan over medium low heat. Add all ingredients, stir to combine, and bring to a low simmer for 5 minutes. You don’t want it to boil, just get warmed through. Heating will allow the flavors to marry and soften the dates.
- Transfer the ketchup to a blender, and blend on high speed for 2 minutes. (Careful blending warm liquids in blenders! I love my Vitamix, it can blend hot liquid without issue.)
- I like my ketchup on the thicker side. If you like yours thinner, add water and blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to an airtight container. I keep mine in wide mouth pint sized mason jars, perfect size! Will keep in the fridge for at least 4 weeks. You can also freeze them in the wide mouth pint sized mason jars for up to 1 year.
I usually make a double batch, keep 1 in the fridge, and freeze the other. I love my freezer safe wide mouth pint sized mason jars!