- 1 large yellow onion, cut into thick slices a little less than 1/2″ thick
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- pinch of salt
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the butter, and cook until the butter begins to foam. When it begins to foam, tilt the pan and scrape off all of the white foam until you are left with clarified butter.
- Reduce the heat to its lowest setting, and add in the onion slices (do not break apart the rings of onion).
- Leaving the pan uncovered, cook the first side for 30 minutes, then flip and cook the other side for another 15 minutes. At this point the onions should be soft enough to break apart the rings and cook in an even layer. After you have broken up the layers, add a pinch of salt. Continue cooking on the lowest setting uncovered for another 45 minutes, stirring roughly every 5-10 minutes. In the end you want the onions to be very soft with the slightest hint of firmness in the middle.
- Serve warm or cold. Will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
- Calories: 125
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: <1g