- 16 ounce package of sweet Italian sausage
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1/4″ thick half moons, about 3 cups
- 1 large yellow onion chopped medium, about 2 cups
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 26 ounce jar of marinara sauce, Trader Joe’s Tomato Basil Marinara is my favorite
- 1 pound whole wheat spaghetti
- salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Bring a large pot filled with water and a huge pinch of salt to boil over high heat, and heat a large flat bottom skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium high heat.
- 2. While the pan is heating up, remove the sausages from their casings. Cut each sausage link into 5 pieces and roll them into balls. Add the sausages to the heated skillet, cooking until they’re browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 3. The water should be boiling at this point. Cook the pound of whole wheat pasta according to package instructions.
- 4. Add the zucchini and onion to the skillet, salt and pepper, and cook with the meatballs until the onions become translucent and the meatballs are cooked through, another 5 minutes.
- 5. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 6. Pour in the marinara sauce, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking until the pasta is cooked through.
- 7. Drain the pasta and toss with the meatball and vegetable marinara sauce. Serve immediately.
- 8. Will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the fridge.