1. Bring a large pot filled with water and a huge pinch of salt to boil over high heat, and heat a large flat bottom skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium high heat.
2. While the pan is heating up, remove the sausages from their casings. Cut each sausage link into 5 pieces and roll them into balls. Add the sausages to the heated skillet, cooking until they’re browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
3. The water should be boiling at this point. Cook the pound of whole wheat pasta according to package instructions.
4. Add the zucchini and onion to the skillet, salt and pepper, and cook with the meatballs until the onions become translucent and the meatballs are cooked through, another 5 minutes.
5. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
6. Pour in the marinara sauce, reduce heat to low, and continue cooking until the pasta is cooked through.
7. Drain the pasta and toss with the meatball and vegetable marinara sauce. Serve immediately.