- 4 large beef short ribs, patted dry
- kosher salt + pepper
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 large carrot, cut into 3 pieces
- 3 ribs of celery, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, whole
- 1/2 cup bone broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat your instant pot to SAUTE. Season the short ribs generously with salt + pepper.
- Add the ghee to the instant pot and brown the short ribs 3 or 4 at a time on all sides until golden brown. About 5 minutes per side. Work in batches if needed so you don’t overcrowd the instant pot. Transfer the browned short ribs to a plate.
- Add the carrot, celery, onion and garlic to the instant pot. Saute in the drippings. Pour in a few tablespoons bone broth to help you scrape up all the brown bits at the bottom.
- Add in the rest of the bone broth, red wine, tomato paste, rosemary and thyme.
- Add the short ribs back into the instant pot. put them meat side DOWN so all the meat is submerged in the cooking liquid.
- Close with the lid, and make sure the vent is at SEALING. Hit CANCEL, then cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 45 minutes. Will take about 10-15 minutes to reach pressure, then it will start counting down from 45. After the 45 minutes is up, do a QUICK RELEASE, where you move the valve to VENTING to release all the steam. Once all the steam is gone and the float valve has dropped, you can safely open the instant pot.
- Gently remove the short ribs from the instant pot. They will be very tender, and may fall off the bone.
- Once all the short ribs are removed, strain the sauce to remove all the vegetables. Discard the cooked vegetables.
- If you are making this in advance: Put the short ribs in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Put the sauce in a separate air tight container (I use quart mason jars) and refrigerate. Before serving, scrape all the hardened fat off the top of the cooking liquid. Return the short ribs and cooking liquid to the instant pot. Press SLOW COOK for 4 hours to reheat.
- If serving right away: Return the short ribs to the instant pot. Put the cooking liquid in a fat separator or let it sit in a quart mason jar until the fat settles to the top. Spoon off the fat and discard. Return the fat skimmed cooking liquid to the instant pot. Press SLOW COOK for at least 30 minutes to rewarm before serving, or up to 4 hours.
- Serve warm over cauliflower rice risotto or mashed cauliflower, with the cooking sauce spooned on top. Garnish with parsley.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
Slow Cooker Method: Follow steps 1-4 in your cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Transfer the short ribs and braising liquid to your slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Continue with steps 7-12.
Oven Method: Follow steps 1-4 in your dutch oven. Cook covered in a 300ºF oven for 3 hours. Continue with steps 7-12.
I got my pasture raised beef short ribs from Belcampo! (code TASTESLOVELY15 gets you 15% off!)
You can use store bought stock as well, chicken or beef works.