- 2 tablespoons grass fed butter
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 4 cups raw broccoli, florets and stems chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- (2) 10-ounce bags frozen cauliflower rice, thawed
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- kosher salt + pepper to taste
- Set your instant pot to SAUTE. Add in the 2 tablespoons butter and chopped onion. Saute for 5 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic, and stir another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- To the instant pot, add in the 4 cups chopped broccoli, 1 cup shredded carrots and 3 cups chicken stock.
- Close with the lid, and make sure the vent is at SEALING. Hit CANCEL, then cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 1 minute. Will take about 5 minutes to reach pressure, then it will start counting down from 1. After the 1 minute is up, do a NATURAL RELEASE for 5 minutes followed by a QUICK RELEASE, where you move the valve to VENTING to release all the steam. Once all the steam is gone and the float valve has dropped, you can safely open the instant pot.
- Squeeze all the water out of the thawed cauliflower rice using a nut milk bag, cheese cloths or clean dish towels.
- To your high speed blender, add the cauliflower rice, 1 cup chicken stock and 1 cup heavy cream. Blend on high speed until it is a puree.
- Add the cauliflower puree to your instant pot and stir to combine.
- Add 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese, and stir until melted.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
Stovetop: Use the same recipe, but cook in your dutch oven. At step 3, just simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes until the broccoli is soft. Continue with step 4.
Broth/Stock: You can use chicken or veggie stock, chicken or veggie broth, or my personal favorite my homemade bone broth. The higher quality your broth, the more flavorful the soup!
Dairy Free/Whole30: If you want to make this dairy free and Whole30 friendly, you can use ghee instead of grass fed butter. Use cashew cream in place of heavy cream. Skip the cheddar cheese. You could use nutritional yeast to give it that “cheesy” flavor. Probably 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast.
Frozen Broccoli: You can use frozen broccoli florets too! I’d recommend thawing, and gently pressing the florets in your strainer to try and get most of the moisture out. Too much water from the thawed broccoli will thin out the soup too much.
Frozen Cauliflower Rice: You could use frozen broccoli rice in place of cauliflower rice! Will give it more of a green flavor too. I highly recommend using thawed frozen cauliflower/broccoli rice over fresh. The fresh you’ll need to steam first, and I love keeping this simple as possible. Do not skip the step of squeezing the moisture out of the thawed cauliflower rice! Will thin out the soup too much. Trust me. I skipped this step before and had really watery soup.
Reheating: Microwave until warm, about 3 minutes. Or, reheat in a soup pot on your stove top over medium heat until warm.
Nutrition: Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary. Always best to go off your own calculations based on the ingredients and measurements you use.