Cajun Sausage Pasta
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 4 sausage links, sliced (I used a smoked beef sausage)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- half a yellow bell pepper, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- half a red onion, finely chopped
- 4 kale leaves, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon blackened seasoning (<- link to homemade, or you could use a store bought)
- (1) 9.5 ounce bag low carb noodles (I love these by Well Lean)
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized
Creamy Roasted Garlic Sauce
Prep The Sauce
- Roast the head of garlic: Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Cut the head of garlic in half. Place it on a piece of parchment paper lined aluminum foil (about 4″ square). Drizzle the olive oil on the bottom portion of the clove of garlic. Season with a pinch of salt. Put the top of the head of garlic back on. Wrap in aluminum foil to make a small pouch. Roast for 1 hour.
- Microwave your bone broth until bubbling, about 3 minutes. Add the raw cashews to do a quick soak while the head of garlic roasts. Will soak for the hour the head of garlic is roasting.
Make The Pasta
- Place your zucchini noodles in a collander and season with about 2 teaspoons salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes while the salt draws out all the extra moisture.
- Rinse your low carb noodles in water. I let mine soak in a bowl of fresh water for 10 minutes.
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee and sliced sausages. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the edges are crispy. Spoon out and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same cooking fat, add the broccoli, bell pepper, red onion, kale and blackened seasoning. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until the veggies are soft. Turn off the heat.
- Make the pasta sauce in your high speed blender. Add the bone broth, the cashews that have been soaking in the bone broth, and squeeze out the cloves from the head of roasted garlic. Blend on high for 1 minute until creamy and smooth.
- Drain your low carb noodles from the water. Place your low carb noodles and salted zucchini noodles in a nut milk bag (or use a cheesecloth or kitchen towel). Squeeze firmly to remove all the extra moisture from the zucchini noodles and the low carb noodles. You will be surprised how much moisture comes out!
- Transfer the zucchini noodles and low carb noodles to your cast iron skillet. Pour on the creamy garlic sauce. Allow it to warm gently from the residual heat from your cast iron skillet for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 1 week.
Use any combination of veggies you have on hand!
Use any meat you have on hand!