- 2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium apple, skin on, chopped into 1/4 cubes, about 1.5 cups
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped, about 1/4 cup
- 6-8 basil leaves, chopped, about 1/4 cup
- zest from lemons, about 2 tablespoons
- juice from 1 lemon, about 2-3 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup homemade paleo mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to taste
- Butter lettuce leaves for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with the oven rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken breasts on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the chicken until an instant read thermometer reads an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 30-45 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes until it’s cool enough to handle.
Lemon Basil Chicken Salad
- Once the chicken is cooled, remove the bones and chop the chicken into 1/2″ cubes. (I personally like the skin so I leave it, but remove it if desired.) Will be about 5 cups of cooked chicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked chicken, apple, celery, cashews, red onion, basil leaves, lemon zest, lemon juice and mayonnaise. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on butter lettuce. You can serve it room temperature once it’s ready, or refrigerate it covered for up to 5 days and serve it cold.
-You can also serve this on top of baby greens and eat it as a salad, or on bread to make a sandwich