- 2 medium to large size artichokes
Lemon Garlic Aioli
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, or vegan mayo, or try my homemade paleo mayo
- 1 garlic clove, grated or very finely minced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon, save lemon halves for the poaching liquid
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Artichoke poaching liquid
- In a small mixing bowl, make the lemon garlic aioli by combining all ingredients and stirring to combine. Set aside in the refrigerator. Will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Prep the artichokes by cutting off the top 1″ of the artichoke, bottom 1/4″ of the stem, then snipping off the pointy part of each leaf to get rid of the thorns.
- In a medium size pot with a lid, heat up all ingredients of the poaching liquid over medium high heat. Add in the artichokes, base side down so the top of the artichokes face up. Cover with a lid, and simmer the artichokes over medium heat for 45-50 minutes. After the artichokes are fully steamed, remove them with tongs, turn them upside down to drain off excess liquid, then put them upside down in a strainer and allow to cool for 3 minutes.
- Serve warm with the lemon garlic aioli.
*If you don’t have any white wine or chicken/veggie stock, just use water instead.