Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
- 8 chicken tenders, or 4 chicken breast sliced in half vertically (about 1.25 pounds)
- 8 slices of prosciutto
- fresh sage leaves (at least 16)
- kosher salt + black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Creamy Apple Cider Gravy
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1–1/2 cups bone broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon monk fruit (see notes for Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (see notes for dairy free/Whole30)
- kosher salt + black pepper
- Set up your chicken wrapping station. Season each chicken tender with kosher salt + pepper. Top each chicken tender with 2 or more fresh sage leaves, then wrap in 1 slice of prosciutto. Set aside on a plate and repeat with all the chicken tenders.
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- In a mason jar or large mixing glass, combine the bone broth, apple cider vinegar, tapioca starch, monk fruit + dijon mustard. Stir to fully combine. Set aside.
- When the pan is warm, add in the olive oil. Brown the prosciutto wrapped chicken tenders for about 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to do this in batches. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
- In the same pan, add the shallots and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes until soft, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour the bone broth apple cider mixture on top of the shallot mixture, whisking constantly to remove any lumps. Bring to a simmer, which will activate the tapioca starch to thicken. Reduce the heat to low. Add in the heavy cream, then season to taste with kosher salt + black pepper. You can also add in more apple cider vinegar/monk fruit/heavy cream to taste as well. Add the chicken back in to the skillet with the gravy to warm for 1 minute.
- Serve the chicken warm, topped with the creamy apple cider gravy. I love serving this with my mashed cauliflower and roasted brussels sprouts.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
Prosciutto: Using the prosciutto and sage leaves is not essential, you can skip it if you want to make this recipe even easier! I just love the added crispiness and flavor it adds to the chicken.
Prep Ahead: If you are making this for company, or want to prep ahead, you can season the chicken and wrap in prosciutto up to 2 days before. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
Tapioca Starch: You could also use arrowroot flour in place of tapioca starch. Both are Whole30, gluten free + keto friendly. If you don’t need this to be Whole30, gluten free + keto friendly you could substitute corn starch or all-purpose flour.
Sweetener: If you need this to be Whole30, you can use date paste in place of monk fruit. If you don’t need this to be as keto friendly, you can substitute honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar, etc. in place of the monk fruit. Same quantities, or more to taste.
Apple Cider: If you don’t need this to be as keto friendly, you can use real apple cider in place of apple cider vinegar + monk fruit. I would use 3/4 cup bone broth + 1 cup apple cider. Skip the apple cider vinegar and monk fruit all together if doing this.
Heavy Cream: If you need this to be dairy free and Whole30, you can use cashew cream, coconut cream from a can or original flavor nutpods in place of heavy cream. Same quantities of 2 tablespoons, or more to taste.
Reheating: Store in an airtight container for at least 5 days in the refrigerator. Microwave until warm, about 3-5 minutes (I like to sprinkle in a little water to help it steam and prevent it from drying out). Or reheat in a 350ºF oven until warm, 10-15 minutes.
Freezing Instructions: Freeze in a freezer safe airtight container for at least 6 months. I like to freeze these in individual portion sizes for quick meals. Thaw in the fridge overnight if you can, and reheat in the microwave for 3-5 minutes. You can also microwave from frozen, will take about 6-9 minutes.
Nutrition Facts: The nutritional information is calculated based on the exact ingredients and quantities listed in the Ingredients above, with each person have 2 chicken tenders and 1/4 of the gravy. It does not include sides (such as mashed cauliflower + roasted brussels sprouts) since side choices can vary. It is provided as a courtesy only and should be construed as an estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary, especially if you make recipe substitutions. Always best to go off your own calculations based on the ingredients and measurements you use.