- Place the chicken thighs in your instant pot. Sprinkle with salt. Pour in the verde salsa.
- Close with the lid, and make sure the vent is at SEALING. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes. Will take about 10-15 minutes to reach pressure, then it will start counting down from 15. After the 15 minutes is up, do a QUICK RELEASE, where you move the valve to VENTING to release all the steam. Once all the steam is gone and the float valve has dropped, you can safely open the instant pot.
- Set your oven to BROIL. Set out a rimmed baking sheet.
- In the instant pot, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Transfer the shredded chicken and 1 cup of the cooking liquid to the rimmed baking sheet.
- BROIL the shredded chicken for 5 minutes, until crispy. If I have time, I like to turn the chicken a few times and keep broiling in 5 minute increments. This really caramelizes the fat and gives it the most amazing texture and flavor.
- Serve warm. Delicious in burrito/taco bowls with fajita veggies, cauliflower rice, guacamole or sliced avocado. Can also serve in lettuce leaf tacos or as a salad.
- Leftovers will keep for 1 week refrigerated in an airtight container, or frozen for at least 6 months.
Stove Top Instructions: Place the chicken thighs, salt and verde salsa in a dutch oven or large soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour until the chicken easily shreds with a fork. Then continue with step 3-7.
Your chicken will be as spicy as your salsa is. My favorite store bought is Trader Joe’s, which is a very mild spice. My kids can eat it no problem.
You can make this with any salsa really! Doesn’t have to be verde.