Spatchcock Blackened Chicken
- 3 or 4 pound chicken, spatchcocked (watch this recipe demo video if it’s your first time spatchcocking a chicken)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons blackened seasoning
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- zest from 1 lime
- juice from 1 juicy lime
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat your grill over medium high heat. We have a Traeger grill, and I set it to 375ºF. Clean the grill grates.
- Rub both sides of the chicken with olive oil. Season both sides of the chicken generously with the blackened seasoning.
- Grill breast skin side UP until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF, about 45 minutes on my Traeger grill. I never flip the chicken, just grill it skin side up the whole time.
- While the chicken is grilling, make the lime aioli. In a small bowl, combine the mayo, lime zest, lime juice, salt + pepper. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Then carve the chicken and serve with the lime aioli. I love this meal with my roasted radishes and my sauteed shaved brussels sprouts.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days.
This may cook faster on a charcoal or gas grill. Start checking the temperature at around the 30 minute mark.
I used my homemade blackened seasoning spice blend. You could use store bought, or really any spice blend would work here.