- 4 pounds bonesless chuck roast (I get my 100% grass fed beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup bone broth (or stock or broth, I use chicken but you could use beef too!)
- 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 teaspoons chipotle powder (or more for spicier!)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cut your chuck roast into 3″ cubes and add into the instant pot.
- In a food processor, make the cooking liquid by combining the onion, tomato paste, diced green chiles, garlic, spices and bone broth. Blend until liquid.
- Pour the liquid over the chuck roast. Give it a stir to coat all the meat. Add in the bay leaves.
- Close the instant pot, make sure the valve is at sealing. PRESSURE COOK on high for 1 hour. Then do a quick release.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks and serve with the cooking liquid. Discard the bay leaves. Our favorite way to serve it is a barbacoa burrito bowl with cauliflower rice, sheet pan fajita veggies, salsa + guacamole! You could also serve as a salad, or tacos using lettuce leaves.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days. Or frozen for 6 months. To reheat from frozen, thaw overnight then reheat in instant pot with it’s cooking liquid for 5 minutes on high pressure.