Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe + Video – 6g net carbs! Juicy and tender, ready in an hour, served with a low carb gravy + the best low carb potato substitute! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
This is hands down, without a doubt, the best pot roast I have ever had!
Which is saying a lot, because I have had a lot of pot roasts. One of my favorite meals as a kid that I would request for birthday meals.
Table of Contents
Whole30 + Keto Pot Roast Instant Pot
This pot roast is made in the instant pot, which I think is the real secret to why it is so tender and has the most amazing flavor. I have this same recipe already on the blog using the slow cooker or dutch oven in the oven.
After making keto pot roast it in the instant pot, I’ll never go back to making it any other way. Hands down the most delicious and simplest way to prepare it.
Keto Pot Roast Vegetables Instant Pot
One of the biggest secrets here is cooking the pot roast BEFORE adding the vegetables. The pot roast needs a full 60 minutes to get tender. If you had the vegetables in there the whole time, they would turn to absolute mush.
Instead, I cook the pot roast first, in flavorful beef broth, tomato paste, herbs + garlic. Then after it’s cooked for 60 minutes, I add in the vegetables on top and cook for just 2 minute minutes. That’s all it needs! They come out perfectly fork tender without falling apart!
I use carrots (which I think get an unfair bad rap in keto! They’re fine to eat in small portions!), turnips (a great keto potato substitute) and wedges of yellow onion.
Whole30 + Keto Pot Roast Gravy
After straining out the cooking liquid, I use it to make the most delicious whole30 + keto gravy that is so low carb and simple!
You’re going to want to drizzle it alllll over your pot roast and vegetables.
Watch Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe Demo
If you make this Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you all and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to share and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast
Instant Pot Pot Roast
- 3 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 whole cloves of garlic, peeled
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and chopped 1" chunks
- 3 onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons ghee, or coconut oil or butter if ok with dairy
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 cups cooking liquid
Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Set your instant pot to SAUTE mode.
- Pat your pot roast completely dry. Season all sides with salt.
- Add in the avocado oil, and brown your pot roast on both sides. About 7 minutes per side until crusty brown. Remove from the instant pot.
- In a measuring cup, combine the beef broth + tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the beef broth to the instant pot, and scrape up any brown bits on the bottom. Add in the chuck roast, garlic cloves, rosemary + thyme.
- Close with the lid, and make sure the vent is at SEALING. Hit CANCEL, then cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 60 minutes. Will take about 10-15 minutes to reach pressure, then it will start counting down from 60. After the 60 minutes is up, do a QUICK RELEASE, where you move the valve to VENTING to release all the steam. Once all the steam is gone and the float valve has dropped, you can safely open the instant pot.
- To the instant pot, add in the onion, carrots and turnips on top of the pot roast. Close the lid, and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 3 more minutes. Followed by a quick release.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to a serving platter. Use tongs to remove the pot roast to the same serving platter. Shred the pot roast with 2 forks into large chunks. Strain any solids from the cooking liquid, and reserve 2 cups to make gravy.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the ghee. Add in the tapioca flour, and whisk to combine. Cook for 30 seconds to cook off any flour taste.
- Slowly pour in the cooking liquid, stirring constantly to avoid any lumps. Heat until simmering. Taste for salt.
- Serve warm with carrots, turnips + onion topped with the gravy. I garnished mine with micro greens so it looks pretty. You could also garnish with finely chopped parsely.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
29 Comments on “Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast”
I just made this and it was to die for! Best pot roast I’ve been in forever!
Yeah! I am so glad you liked my pot roast Michelle! I am thrilled it is the best pot roast you have had in awhile! That is quite a compliment! :)
Delicious! Everyone enjoyed! Unfortunately the veggies turned out mushy but I think I screwed up…when I put them in, instead of just adding minutes…I hit cancel then pressure cook for 3 min which took FOREVER. In addition to giving me great recipes to make in my instapot, you are teaching me how to use it! Thanks so much for all the great recipes and viedos – you are my go to for anything new and always tastey!
I am so glad you liked my pot roast Katie! Such a bummer that your veggies turned out mushy. Now that you have it all figured out, next time they will be perfect! :) So glad you are enjoying using your Instant Pot. It is my favorite! I think it makes everything so flavorful!
Another fabulous recipe! It was so easy and quick. I made it the day our water was shut off for over 8 hours! (Thankfully I keep an extra gallon of water in our pantry.) But the dishes were very minimal which I loved. The flavors were amazing and it lasted the two of us a few days!
So glad you liked it Hannah!
Made this for dinner last night and it came out awesome! Another great recipe Natalie! :)
It’s one of my favorite and ‘go to’ recipes Nancy. I am so happy it turned out awesome! :)
I have made dozens of your recipes and love them all! I’m so glad you use Butcher Box too because now I know what to do with the different cuts of meat they send. I’m trying this pot roast tomorrow night and I know it will be as amazing as the rest of your recipes! Thank you for sharing!
I am so glad you have tired so many of my recipes Jennifer! I love that you have started using Butcher Box. I just love their meat. I sure hope you like the pot roast! Thank you so much for your feedback, it really means a lot.
So good! My 7 year old groaned when he heard I was cooking a roast for supper but happily gobbled up a huge plate of seconds! The whole family loved it, turnips and all!
I love that your grandson groaned when he heard you were making it but then got seconds Jenn! That is the best ever! :)
Just made this last night and it was fantastic! So much better than my old method of making pot roast. It’s going in my weekly rotation for winter!
Just made it tonight and it was outstanding!!! Thank you for the amazing recipe!
It’a a winner! Adding to the winner rotation!
So glad you enjoyed it Sarah!
Just meal prepped this for the week and my bf stole half of it to take to work!! It’s so good, will definitely make this a regular dish. Will probably make more next time to freeze a portion for those lazy days!
I love that you made the pot roast as a meal prep and your boyfriend took it to work Nicole! LOL! At least you know he liked it!
This was AMAZING!! I made it without the veggies! But everything else was awesome!
So glad you enjoyed it Jennifer!
Delicious! I used carrots, onions, and mushrooms and then served with your cauliflower mash and the gravy. We loved it!
I am so happy you liked my pot roast Stacey. The addition of mushrooms sounds delicious. Sounds like you made the perfect meal.
Can I use arrowroot powder instead of tapioca flour?
I have not tested this recipe with arrowroot powder instead of tapioca flour, but I think that substitution should work just fine Acelya.
Make this NOW! So so so good. The only ingredient I didn’t have was thyme but it was still amazing. Highly recommend!!
I just made this this afternoon (it is Sunday doesn’t everyone make pot roast on Sundays?). It is as fantastic as promoted. But I am a household of 1 and because I used too much tomato paste my broth was heavenly. So I cut up the beef and turned the whole thing into vegetable beef soup and put single servings in my freezer. BTW, I had celery in the house so added a few stalks to my pot. Lunch all week, lucky me.
I am so happy you liked my pot roast Ann! What a fantastic idea to turn it into vegetable beef stew! Adding celery sound delicious too! Sounds like you are in for some tasty lunches!
Making this tonight! Looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it out in my instantPot!
I sure hope it turned out delicious Jennifer! I just LOVE my instant pot.