My Honest ButcherBox Review
My honest review of ButcherBox monthly meat delivery service. Is the meat good? Does it save you money? What do I order? Keep reading to find out!
Watch Me Unbox my ButcherBox Shipment
What Is ButcherBox?
ButcherBox is a monthly meat delivery service. All of the meat they offer is humanely raised and free of hormones + antibiotics.
This is extremely important because what the animal eats you eat.
You want to make sure the animals you are eating are fed their natural diet and live a happy life.
Quality of Meat
ButcherBox is committed to providing quality meat from animals that are ethically raised. I feel great feeding myself and my family meat from animals that lived a great life and got to live as nature intended.
Here’s a bit about the quality of their meats:
- All their beef is from cows that are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished. The cows are never given antibiotics or hormones, and are raised to live their entire life on pasture.
- The chicken is also pasture raised free range and organic. All of the chicken is Certified Humane, which means the chickens have access to the outdoors, shelter and fed an organic 100% vegetarian diet.
- The pork is heritage breed. The pigs are never given antibiotics or hormones. The pigs are raised pastured, or with standards that meet being raised in open barns with bedding.
What is Grass-Finished?
Grass-fed is very different from grass-finished. You think you are making the right choice by buying meat at the store that is labeled “grass-fed”. But the term grass-fed doesn’t mean the cow was fed a 100% grass diet. The grass-fed meat in the store means the cows were started on a grass-fed diet, and then fed grains for the remainder of their lives in a feed lot. Store bought beef should be labeled grass-fed, grain-finished beef.
97% of all beef sold in stores in the USA is from cows that were sent to a feed lot and fed a grain diet. What the animal eats translates to what is in their meat. Wouldn’t you rather consume meat from animals that ate a natural diet and are hormone free?
Quality of Taste
This is all thanks to how the animal is raised, and the natural diet they consume during the entirety of their life. This is how meat is supposed to taste.
I have 2 little kids. Anything that can save me time, I’m all for it. What’s better than having ButcherBox ship the meat straight to my front door, for free?
Now I only have to shop for my produce and pantry staples. So much easier.
What Do I Order Every Month?
We are a family of 4. I get the Large Custom Box, which allows you to choose 12 cuts of meat. I prefer being able to choose the meat I get, but you can also elect to get a curated box.
Every month I order:
- 8 whole chickens that I break down myself, then use the carcasses to make homemade bone broth (gets the MOST out of my dollar!)
- 1 order of 2-pounds of ground beef
- 1 order of 2-pounds of ground pork
- 1 order of pork chops (this might be my favorite of theirs!)
- 1 “fun meat” that I feel like making that month like pork butt, tri tip, ribs, steaks (ribeyes are my favorite!), beef stew meat, chuck roast or pork tenderloin.
- I also get Free Bacon For Life (1 pack), Free Beef For Life (2 pounds) and Free Wings For Life (3 pounds) in every order, all for FREE!
- Insider Tip: Whenever ButcherBox runs a For Life Deal, you can add it to your box for a low 1 time fee (typically less than $50 that you just pay once) and you’re locked in to the Free For Life deal! It pays for itself in 2 deliveries, but you’ll get it for free in your deliveries as long as you’re a ButcherBox subscriber. Always check the Member Deals each month to see what they’re offering!
How Does It Ship?
I get my box delivered every 4 weeks. You can choose to have yours delivered every 2, 4, 6 or 8 weeks.
You get an email a few days before your order ships, so you can make adjustments to your box that month if needed, or change the delivery date if you are out of town. If you don’t make any changes, it will ship you the same box you ordered before.
The meat is shipped out frozen in an insulated, eco-friendly box packed with a specific amount of dry ice that’s carefully calculated based on your geographic location. All of the packaging materials are biodegradable or recyclable.
Insider Tip: My little kids love playing with the dry ice! We’ll put it in a bowl of water and do pretend science!
ButcherBox: Is It Worth It?
ButcherBox is 100% worth it!
It is where I source all of my meat. It saves me money, saves me time, is better for the animal, is better for the planet, and healthier meat sourced from the highest quality animals!
Current ButcherBox Promo
I reached out to ButcherBox to secure some exclusive offers for Tastes Lovely readers.
New members receive 2 ribeyes and 4 top sirloins for free in the first box! Plus, another $10 off if you sing up with this link!
ButcherBox Recipe Inspiration
You’re going to have so much fun cooking up your delicious meat, and are going to be blown away by the flavor!
Need some recipe inspiration?
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!