My Exercise Routine + Favorite Workout Gear
My mommy exercise routine + favorite workout gear that are both affordable and only takes 30 minutes! No gym membership required!
Along with eating healthy, I always get asked what my workout routine is. Welp, confession. I haven’t been working out consistently since having kids. Until now! I’ve started jogging. Which is a huge deal because I have never been able to run a mile. In my life. Ever. I’m not kidding.
But I thought if not now, then when? I’ve given birth, I’m sure I can train to run a mile!
Here is my super simple and affordable exercise routine and workout gear (that’s cheap!).
I began a Couch To 5K jogging routine the 2nd week of September. I got this Couch to 5K app and am obsessed with it. It does interval jogging and walking, and tells me when to start jogging and when to stop and walk. So nice! Each day is just 30 minutes of exercise, very manageable to squeeze in.
It slowly ramps up the length of time you are running week after week. I was actually at a couch level of jogging, and I’ve been able to finish every day.
The app has you running only 3 days a week. But I am going 7 days a week because I’m liking it so much! So I do Day 1 on Monday + Tuesday, Day 2 on Wednesday + Thursday, Day 3 on Friday, Saturday + Sunday.
It’s only semi hard. I’m not completely wiped out at the end, but definitely sweaty and a little out of breath. And I’m doing it pushing 2 kids in a stroller!
If I can do it, you can do it. I promise. I’m rooting for you!
Finishing Couch to 5K
After 8 weeks, I finished the couch to 5k! So so so proud! I can now jog for 35 minutes without stopping and it is absolutely incredible!
It wasn’t always easy, but it also wasn’t that hard. Just kept showing up day after day after day, and kept jogging step after step.
Shawn surprised me with this video that documents my couch to 5k. It might be my favorite video ever! He said he started filming my journey right from the start because he knew I would finish. I love him!
Favorite Workout Gear (For Cheap!)
Working out doesn’t mean you have to drop a bunch of money on a gym membership, fancy gym clothes and a personal trainer. Here is my favorite workout gear that I use and love, that also happens to be affordable. Because you know I love a good bargain!
These are the BEST workout leggings! They are so super cheap. Like, less than $20 cheap. Have a high waist with tummy control to suck you in and give you a flat look. Are thick enough that they’re not see through when you bend over, but still breathable. And they have side pockets for your cell phone! I am obsessed. I have 4 pairs in black. They are true to size. Cannot recommend enough! Just look at all those 5 star reviews on Amazon!
I love this sports bra! I have a very large chest, so size down 1 size so I have a snugger fit. It is thick and offers lots of support, and is very comfortable. Also less than $20 at Target! I have it in a ton of colors. Makes me happy.
My town has an athletic shoe store where they do a ton of measurements, measure your arch, and watch your walk and run and gait to find you the perfect pair of running shoes. (If you live near Danville, CA you must go to Forward Motion!). For me, Brooks Adrenaline running shoes are the perfect match. They’re always updating to a new model GTS, which really just means a new season of color choices. I love them!
This is the absolute best jogging stroller! Such a smooth ride, and so easy to push. Can fit big kids too! My almost 4 year old fits just fine! However, it is expensive. Good news, they’re always getting listed on Craigslist and NextDoor! I scored mine on NextDoor for only $100 used! So keep an eye out if you’re on a budget. I have the handlebar console organizer, which is nice to hold water and my phone. It comes in a single stroller! But if you think you’re going to be having 2+ kids, you might as well invest in the bigger one. If anything, you’ll just have more room for storage in the 2nd seat!
I kind of can’t live without my AirPods. It’s so nice not having wires! Nothing to get tangled up or get snagged!
This is the couch to 5K app that I am using and I’m obsessed. It tells you when to jog, when to walk, and slow ramps up the length of time you’re running each week. You can still play your music in the background while you’re listening to it. It also keeps track of all your runs so you can see your progress over time! So so so so great! It’s $10, which is the cheapest dang personal trainer I can think of! The app has you running only 3 days a week. But I am going 7 days a week because I’m liking it so much! So I do Day 1 on Monday + Tuesday, Day 2 on Wednesday + Thursday, Day 3 on Friday, Saturday + Sunday.
This is the song playlist that I’ve been listening to when working out. I feel like I’m at a club with the cast or Jersey Shore when listening to it (hahaha!), but it definitely gets me pumped up and motivated!
This is the water bottle that I use and love. It is stainless steel, so completely toxic free. I also love that it has a straw so it’s really easy to drink, even when jogging. I put it in the seat back pocket of my duallie bob when jogging.
Tips for Safety
- Find a safe place to jog, preferably one that is protected from street traffic. Especially if you’re pusing your kids in the stroller. You don’t want to stress about a car backing out of it’s driveway and hitting you. I personally jog around a walking track at our park. 1 lap is about .33 miles. It’s perfect and peaceful and I know we’re safe from cars.
- Don’t jog in the dark by yourself if you can avoid it.
- Only wear a headphone in 1 ear so you can still be aware of your surroundings and chat with your kids as you’re pushing them.
- If your kids are in a stroller, buckle them in.
Tips for Success
- Workout early in the day if you can. It’s my new favorite way to start the day. It’s cooler then too, so you won’t be as sweaty. Plus, you’ll feel much more accomplished getting it done first thing. We head out after the boys have breakfast, I do my 30 minute jog, and then we play at the park for an hour. A fun morning for all!
- I like working out on an empty stomach. Just water. I feel less bogged down.
- Make it a priority. It’s only 30 minutes. Especially if you’re a mom, it’s so important to take time for yourself and better yourself. You spend your whole day tending to everyone else’s needs. You’ll be a better mom and wife if you tend to yours too.
- Give yourself a reward for accomplishing a big goal! For instance, after finishing my first whole week I treated myself to a pedicure. And I was only allowed to get the pedicure if I finished the whole week. That 1 hour to myself getting pampered is heaven! Other fun rewards: new running shoes, new workout gear, cute new outfit, little things like that.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!