Whole30 + Keto Chicken Zoodle Soup with Dill
Whole30 + Keto Chicken Zoodle Soup with Dill Recipe + Video – comforting and healing chicken noodle soup recipe with zucchini noodles that has the most amazing broth! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
Well, it’s happened. All 3 of us are sick. At the same time. Mommy. Daddy. And baby.
Whole30 + keto chicken zoodle soup to the rescue!
Whole30 + Keto Chicken Zoodle Soup
I make this every time any of us are sick. It’s tradition. And it really does help. It warms your soul and gives you strength to start fighting and getting well. Plus, it’s delicious!
Veggies and tender chicken in the most insanely flavorful chicken broth you will ever have. If you’ve never put fresh dill on your chicken soup, you are missing out! It is the best flavor combination, and for some reason it makes me feel better when I’m sick.
Whole30 + Keto Chicken Zoodle Soup Broth
The secret to my flavorful broth is to make a double-chicken stock. I use my homemade bone broth as the soup base, then add in bone in chicken to simmer in the soup as it cooks.
The resulting broth is insanely flavorful and full of depth. I then take the chicken out of the soup, discard the bones and skin, and shred the meat to add back to the soup.
Never add water to your soup when you can add chicken stock instead. You’ll get way more flavor.
Zucchini Noodles in Chicken Soup
Rather than adding pasta noodles, I keep it healthier by adding in zucchini noodles. Not only does it add even more vegetables and nutrition to the soup, it tastes even better! The zucchini noodles are added in 5 minutes before serving, so they cook until they are just al dente. They are softened, but still have a slight chew/bite to them.
And don’t worry, the zoodles are still great the next day in leftovers! As long as you reheat the leftover soup until it is warm, then serve (rather than leaving it to simmer on the stove for 1+ hours), the zoodles are still al dente and perfect. They don’t disintegrate.
Whole30 + Keto Chicken Zoodle Soup Meal Prep
This recipe makes a big batch of soup. Very big! Perfect for leftovers and meal prep.
I have meal prep instructions in the recipe box below.
Watch Soup Recipe Video (57 seconds)
- (2) bone-in skin-on chicken breasts, about 1 pound, patted dry and seasoned with salt + pepper (I get my chicken from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 medium carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 5 stalks of celery, washed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned and trimmed, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock (I prefer homemade, but you can use store bought)
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- fresh dill as garnish
- Heat a dutch oven (or large soup pot), over medium high heat. Add the olive oil. Sear the chicken breasts skin side DOWN until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken and transfer to a plate.
- To the same dutch oven, add the carrots, celery, onion, leek, garlic, salt and pepper to the olive oil and chicken drippings. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back in the pot, along with the chicken stock, thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for at least 1 hour, and the chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF. (If you have the time, I like to simmer it for 2-3 hours so the broth gets even more infused with flavor.)
- Remove the chicken from the soup, along with the bay leaf and thyme stems. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat to bite sized pieces. Return the shredded chicken back to the soup.
- Just before serving, add the zucchini noodles. Cook 5 minutes, until al dente. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm topped with fresh dill.
- Leftovers will keep for at least 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!