Five Things for Friday
1. Spring is fully here in California! The trees are full of green leaves, the flowers are blooming, and it has been 75 degrees all week. I have these vintage hanging wall vases hanging in my kitchen, and all fall and winter I’ve had dried wheat displayed in them. But now that spring is here it’s time for some fresh white flowers! My favorite cheap-o flower display is to use baby’s breath. Super cheap, and it lasts for-ev-er!
2. We are hard core working on getting our garden ready! We chose the hill that is right in front of our driveway since it is one of the few spots on the property that gets a ton of daylight. It was just a basic sloping hill, so Shawn and his brother Byron dug in some flat spots for the garden beds to go. I was happy to see that we have some great soil on this hill!
Look at it now! My dad is replacing his retaining wall in his back yard, so he gave us all of his old wood for the retaining walls of the garden beds. Free, and it saved him a trip to the dumps. Win win! We needed some wood for the steps. There was a huge pile of old redwood railroad ties in the barn on the property. The boys drug them out and used them to make stairs. More free stuff!
It looks the most dramatic from the bottom of the hill. We rolled all those boulders down the hill to make a big retaining wall for the bottom. This ranch has a ton of great rocks all around, and I’m glad we were able to put them to good use.
That’s our teeny tiny house up there! (And yes, we still have our Christmas lights up, in March, whoops!)
Next up we need to trim back some of the trees for maximum amount of sun, build 2 more garden beds at the base, source some fertilizer/manure for the soil, and build a fence all around to keep the deer out. Then it’s planting time!
3. Every day I come home from work, sit outside, and read thru The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible to learn everything I can about gardening. I love our simple life.
4. My sister’s husband Ken’s birthday was over the weekend, and we went bowling with friends to celebrate. Is there anything dorkier yet cooler than bowling shoes?
5. I’m a little late to the game, but I am having so much fun with on Snapchat! I love updating “my story” with cute little things all day. Mostly dogs, or Shawn being funny, or piles of laundry I don’t want to fold. Basically super important things you don’t want to miss out on, haha! If you’re on there too, you should follow me! I’m NatG925. Let me know your username so I can follow you back. Right now I’m following like, 5 people. I need more!
18 Comments on “Five Things for Friday”
Dude Natalie this garden is going to be EPIC! And gorgeous! You guys are so awesome.
I just love these Friday posts, Natalie! Your garden is going to be so amazing. I can’t wait to see it when you get some plants in there. I can’t even figure out Pinterest, so I doubt you will see me anytime soon on snapchat! :) I’m definitely going to check out that garden bible though!
I love your wall vases – so beautiful! I can tell you’re excited about your garden, and I’m excited for you! You’re going to have a blast with it, Natalie :)
Wow, it looks like your garden is going to be amazing! I love seeing how everything on your property is coming along. I hope you had a great weekend, Natalie!
Ahhh!! I’m so excited for your garden!!! Can’t wait to see how it goes!! :) Happy weekend!
I love your five things friday’s! Those flower displays are SO cute! And I still haven’t figured out snap chat…I am so lame. I can never figure out if someone is snap chatting me directly or if it is a group thing. I basically just use it to send Nick videos of all the adorable (and naughty) things Stella does/gets into while he is at work. lol Have a great weekend Natalie! xo
Your garden is going to be amazing, Natalie! I’m so envious that you’ll have all that fresh produce and herbs just a few steps away from your kitchen. And bowling shoes rock! haha Hope you’re having a great weekend. :)
Happy Weekend!!! This warm weather we are having is THE BEST! I don’t know what I’ll do when inevitably we’ll get some cold days before summer! It looks like you are going to have an amazing garden. I can’t wait to read more about it!
Yay for Friday and fresh flowers! Your vase is so pretty!Your garden is coming along so well! That’s awesome that you got all that wood from your dad too! I can’t wait to see how everything comes together! I know it’s going to be awesome!:)
The construction is looking great so far. It’s going to be so beautiful when its all done! :)
I am SO jealous of your garden! It has been a dream of mine for years to grow my own veggies and herbs. You can’t really do that when you live in apartments though! That is one of the first things I am going to do when we get a house…build a garden. Yours is gorgeous!! I think my snapchat username is annie.chesson butttt I could be wrong. We will see…
Awwww I love those vases! They’re adorable. Also, can I say I’m a little jealous that 1) you live in a lovely little house and you get to have a garden and 2) the weather there is nice! lol
Oh Gosh I am so jealous! Yesterday we got snow again! I am so disappointed. I can’t wait for spring!!
Nat, your garden is getting great. What a transformation.That’s awesome you could reuse all that old wood!!! Have an awesome weekend, friend. And enjoy your amazing weather ;-)
I love reading your Friday posts! Your life looks really lovely :) LOVE the gardening that’s about to happen! We’ve been talking about getting one going for the better part of two years and we yet need to get our butts in gear :) Also, the plant vases. Incredibly cute. And I’m not on Snapchat at all, I feel like an old lady sometimes :D
Happy Friday dear friend. I am very jealous of your beutiful weather and green trees and your soon to be garden. I cant wait to have nice weather and plant some things in my small container garden. Until then I will vicariously live through you. I wish you the most abundant vegetable garden this year!!!
I love love your spring decor!! Those hanging flower vases are just the most gorgeous thing! And uh, WOW, girl! I am so so excited about your garden! It looks like the perfect size and I’ll bet you’ll be able to grow all kinds of awesome veggies!
Happy Friday, Natalie! Please send your warm weather my way, I need some after the snow we got this morning! I love the little flower vases, so gorgeous! And it sounds like your garden is coming along great! I bet you can’t wait until you start planting. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Yay for Friday, Natalie! And high fives for your evolving garden! Wow! What a transformation. It is coming along beautifully and how cool is reusing all that old wood – its the best!! Especially finding old redwood. What a treasure. I’m excited to see what all you’ll plant and the beauty and enjoyment it will bring to your home. Hey, the Christmas lights… you have year round party lights! Have a fabulous weekend Natalie!