Herbed Cashew Cheese (Paleo, Keto)
Paleo + Keto Herbed Cashew Cheese & Crackers Recipe – a dairy free and vegan herby cheese made from cashews that you can slice! Delicious and healthy appetizer or snack. Gluten free, grain free, sugar free, soy free, clean eating.
One of the things I miss the absolute most since going dairy free is eating cheese and crackers. Shawn and I used to make a whole meal out of cheese and crackers. We’d go nuts at Trader Joe’s and get 3 different kids of cheese, some bread, salami and fruit and have a fancy indoor picnic in our living room. And then have major tummy aches all night and the next day.
I love cheese, but cheese doesn’t love me back.
I was worried that my cheese and cracker days were over. Until we recently were at a wedding that was 100% vegan. They had out a cheeseboard with all kinds of different cheeses and crackers. How? They were made out of cashews!
It blew my mind. I was obsessed. I couldn’t believe it. It was all I could talk about. “THIS CHEESE IS MADE OUT OF CASHEWS?! BUT IT TASTES EXACTLY LIKE CHEESE!” I let myself into the kitchen at the wedding and asked the caterer how she made this heavenly cashew cheese. Yes, I am that person. She was very nice and wrote down her recipe for me. And she has become my angel ever since.
After that wedding, I’ve made a ton of variations of the cashew cheese recipe the kind caterer shared with me.
My favorite may be this herbed version. It tastes a lot like Boursin. Creamy, a little tangy, smooth, and packed with herby goodness. I make it with dried herbs because I always have those on hand.
This creamy dairy free cashew cheese is delicious with sliced vegetables, or on my almond pulp crackers.
You can enjoy it guilt free since it is 100% paleo and keto compliant. You’re basically just eating nuts, a little coconut oil, and herbs!
Finally a cheese both my mouth and tummy love!
Herbed Cashew Cheese (Paleo + Keto)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, about half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, about half a juicy lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, or black pepper works too
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Almond pulp crackers or raw vegetables for serving
- In your food processor with the S-blade attachment, add the soaked cashews, coconut oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend until completely smooth, at least 10 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl 2 or 3 times.
- Transfer the cashew cheese to a mixing bowl. Add the dried herbs and mix completely.
- Line a 6 ounce custard cup (or any small bowl) with saran wrap. Scoop the herbed cashew cheese into the custard cup, and fold the saran over the top. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
- Serve cold with almond pulp crackers or raw vegetables.
- Will keep refrigerated for 7 days.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!