Whole30 + Keto Perfect Roast Chicken
The PERFECT Whole30 and Keto Roast Chicken with root vegetables and gravy recipe – how to get crispy skin and juicy chicken every single time. Paleo, dairy free, low carb, gluten free, grain free, clean eating.
If I had to pick a favorite dinner, one that I love and is the epitome of everything I love about cooking, it would be this roast chicken.
This dinner is absolute perfection. Roasted chicken with crispy skin, flavored with herbs and lemon and garlic. Roasted over root vegetables that soften and caramelize in the flavorful drippings. Served warm with a whole30 + keto gravy.
I adore this dinner because the oven does all the work for me. I just prep the chicken and vegetables, put them all in a cast iron skillet, and a little more than an hour later dinner is ready.
I often make this dinner on Sunday’s, which means I get even more time to spend with my boys and less time in the kitchen. Then I use the leftover chicken in lunches the rest of the week.
Flavoring the Simple Roast Chicken
To help the skin crisp up a bit, I use a pastry brush to spread on a thin layer of olive oil. As it roasts, the skin will get ultra crispy and golden brown. I don’t even baste it, because it will prevent the skin of crisping up. I prefer all the juices get absorbed by the vegetables.
Whole30 + Keto Roast Chicken with Gravy
Then my husband carves up the chicken while we both sneak bites because OMG IT IS SO GOOD!
I use whatever vegetables I have on hand. To keep it keto, great options are brussels sprouts, onion, radishes, turnips and even broccoli + cauliflower.
Your whole family will be singing your praises after making them this perfect roast chicken. And you’re going to be thrilled with how healthy it is! Paleo, whole30, keto, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, soy free, clean eating, real food.
Watch Roast Chicken Recipe Demo Video (2:51 mins)
- (1) 5 to 6 pound whole chicken (I get my chicken from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters (optional)
- 1 onion, cut in quarters
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half
- 6–8 sprigs of fresh herbs, like rosemary, thyme + sage
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound of brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 1 pound radishes, sliced in half
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF with the oven rack in the lower third.
- Remove the gizzards from the chicken, rinse the inside and outside under water, and pat dry until it is completely dry. Any moisture will create steam and the skin won’t get crispy. Leave on a cutting board at room temperature while you prepare the vegetables.
- In your cast iron skillet (or roasting pan or glass baking dish), place the vegetables in an even layer. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Stuff the inside of the chicken with the lemon, onion, garlic and fresh herbs. Season the chicken with 1 tablespoon salt and pepper. Place the chicken in the middle of the cast iron skillet on top of the vegetables.
- Roast for 60-90 minutes, until the skin is golden and crispy and the thickest part of the breast has in internal temperature of 165ºF using a meat thermometer. Mine usually takes about 70 minutes.
- Remove the from oven. Lift the chicken out, tilt the chicken so all the internal juices drip on top of the vegetables. Put the chicken on a cutting board to rest for 10 minutes uncovered. (If you cover it, it creates steam and the chicken skin will get soggy!) Toss the vegetables in all the chicken juices, and return to the oven for another 20 minutes to caramelize.
- Carve the chicken, and serve warm with the vegetables. This is great with my whole30 + keto gravy and my mashed cauliflower!
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated for 5 days in an airtight container.
- Save your chicken carcass to make instant pot bone broth!
Feel free to use any root vegetables you have on hand! I’ve used parsnips, turnips, potatoes, etc.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!