Whole30 + Keto Filet Mignon with Herb Butter
Whole30 + Keto Filet Mignon with Dairy Free Herb Butter Recipe – The 5 secrets to cooking steakhouse style filet mignons at home! Perfect date night paleo steak dinner for 2. Gluten free, grain free, sugar free, clean eating.
The steak dinner of my dreams right here!
Filet mignon cooked in a cast iron skillet to get that perfect brown crust. Juicy and medium rare. Topped with a dairy free herb butter.
Secrets to Perfect Whole30 + Keto Filet Mignon
One of my first jobs was working at a very fancy steak house. I know all about good steaks. I had the chefs show me how they make it, and now I’m sharing all the secrets with you!
First, you want to make sure you are using the highest quality steak. I get my 100% grass fed filet mignon from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend. The taste is beyond anything you will get in the store.
Second, let your steaks sit out on the counter for a good hour before cooking them to bring them to room temperature. This will allow them to cook evenly.
Cooking Whole30 + Keto Filet Mignon in a Cast Iron Skillet
The very best secret is cooking the filet mignon in a cast iron skillet. This is the key to getting that perfect, crunchy, delicious brown crust on the outside.
Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat for a full 5 minutes before cooking the steaks. Medium heat is important. You don’t want to burn them, but want it hot enough to get a good sear.
How To Cook Medium Rare Whole30 + Keto Filet Mignon
I cannot live without my meat thermometer. It lets me know exactly when to take the steaks off the heat. As soon as the very center reaches 120ºF, it’s time to take the steaks off and let them rest for a full 8-10 minutes. Resting allows the juices in the steak to reabsorb, giving you the juiciest steak of your life.Print
- (2) 6-ounce filet mignon, about 3/4″ thick, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- Preheat your cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Pat your filet mignon completely dry, and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- When your pan is heated, add the avocado oil. Sear the first side for 2 minutes until a brown crust forms. Do not move the steaks at all while it is searing. Flip, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Use an instant read meat thermometer to check the temperature of the very center of the steaks. Remove the steaks when they are 120ºF for medium rare. Rest the steaks for 8-10 minutes to allow the juices to reabsorb.
- While the steaks are resting, make the herb butter. In a small bowl, combine the ghee, herbs, salt + pepper. Stir to combine.
- Top the rested steaks with 1 tablespoon herb butter.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!