Wine Marinated Chicken with Lemon & Rosemary
My big, tough husband has been plagued with scary dreams lately.
He does work installing high end home theaters and security systems, and has to crawl under houses to run the cables from room to room. Which basically means he crawls over rat poop and is surrounded by spiders and cobwebs.
Occasionally around 3am he’ll have a dream that he is in a crawl space and spiders start falling on him. He’ll start whimpering and scooching down the bed under the covers, as if he were in a crawl space trying to escape. The dreams seem too real to him, and it takes him a while to calm him down and be convinced he’s not under spider attack.
Me: Shawn, what’s wrong?!
Shawn: Spiders! A spider fell on my head!
Shawn: Ya, I was under the house and a spider fell right on my face!
Me: Under the house? *pauses, confused* I think you’re dreaming.
Me: Shawn, it’s the middle of the night and we were sleeping. You weren’t under the house. It was just a dream, you’re ok. There’s no spiders.
Shawn: Oh. Good.
Now that it’s happened WAY more than a few times, he’s much easier to calm down. He’ll start whimpering or scooching, and I’ll reach over, rub his arm, and say, “You’re dreaming again.” He’ll go, “Hmmm? Mmmm.” Then fall back asleep.
I’m basically a nightmare comforting pro.
Along with being a nightmare comforting pro, I’m now a wine marinated chicken dinner pro.
This wine marinated chicken is seriously a-ma-zing. The chicken breast is marinated in white wine along with lots of lemon zest, fresh rosemary and some garlic. Grill it up on the BBQ for even more flavor, and during the last minute of cooking you brush it with a rosemary olive oil mixture.
The wine marinated chicken is full of flavor yet it’s very light on calories, low carb, is gluten free and paleo. We’ve already made this wine marinated chicken twice this summer, and I see us making it many, many more times. I love it served along salad or roasted veggies.
Wine Marinated Chicken with Lemon & Rosemary
- 2 chicken breasts, about 6 ounces each (I get my chicken from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- zest of 2 lemons
- 5 sprigs of rosemary, 3 of them removed from the stem and the leaves finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 cups white wine, I use sauvignon blanc
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- Make the marinade by combining the white wine, 3 tablespoons olive oil, lemon zest, 2 of the chopped stems of rosemary, 2 full rosemary sprigs, smashed garlic and the chicken. Marinated the chicken in a baking dish covered in saran wrap or gallon size ziploc bag. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
- In a small bowl, make the olive oil rosemary mixture by combining the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and the last stem of finely chopped rosemary. Set aside.
- Preheat your grill over medium-high heat, and brush the grates with olive oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill for minutes roughly 8 minutes per side, occasionally using a brush to baste the chicken with the wine marinade. Cook until the chicken is cooked thru and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. During the last 1 minute of cooking brush both sides of the chicken with the rosemary olive oil mixture. Remove from heat and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Serve warm along with desired sides. Leftovers will keep in an airtight container for 5 days.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
31 Comments on “Wine Marinated Chicken with Lemon & Rosemary”
This was fabulous – because it was cold and rainy, I roasted the chicken (with potatoes) on a sheet pan.
Yea! I’m so happy to hear you liked it! Perfect with roasted potatoes on a sheet pan. Yum!
Oh no, poor Shawn! Those nightmares sounds awful, but kudos to you ms nightmare conqueror! I agree, you are definitely a pro at this chicken too – looks delicious!
Aww, you are sweet. I think I’d have nightmares like that too. Dark, small spaces with yuckies…yep I’d be creeped out.
This chicken looks delicious! Lemon and rosemary are some of my favorites, so I know I’d love this marinade. I love those carrots too :D
My husband has the same kind of bug dreams! He’s convinced there are bugs in the bed and he’s literally trying to swoop them away. Poor guys!
This chicken looks delicious and I love those flavors. :)
I just love your taste in food Natalie!! Such a pity we live so far away form each other!! The flavors in this chicken is so fresh and summery! Lovin’ the wine (duh!) with lemon and rosemary. Wine and rosemary go really well together! Going to have to try it sometime soon ;) Have a fabulous Wednesday!
Oh man, I think I would be a mess if I had spider dreams, I can’t kill one to save my life! :) I am in love with this chicken! Absolutely love the flavors you used to make this! Beautiful pictures, too. Pinned!
Yikes, poor Shawn – scary spider dreams are the worst!
I love this chicken though – it looks so tender and flavorfu! Love the lemon and rosemary in the marinade and of course adding the wine makes everything better:)
I have to make this before all the lemons from my tree fall! Zest 4 life!! PS I’m so sorry for Shawn. That is THE WORST. I was in bed waaaay too late the other night trying not to fall asleep while finishing up a post, when suddenly I look down (half asleep) to see a daddy long leg in my lap. I flipped out. It disappeared and even after waking eric up we still couldn’t find it. I don’t even know how I fell asleep that night. Spiders are awful!!
Sounds awesome. Such bright, fresh flavors! I have a huuuuuge rosemary bush, too, and never know what to do with it!