Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mushroom Chicken Thighs
Crispy chicken thighs with creamy mushroom gravy – 6g net carbs! Low carb crispy chicken thighs with creamy mushroom gravy. 30 minute dinner! Paleo, whole30, keto, dairy Free, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, soy free, clean eating.
This is the coziest, satiating, indulgent dinner that is healthy as can be!
I’ve been making it about once a week all fall long, and I’m VERY excited to be sharing it.
Just look at that crispy, golden skin!
I have fallen in love with chicken thighs. The skin gets ultra crispy, the bone keeps the meat juicy and flavorful, and it’s less expensive than buying chicken breasts.
How to Get Crispy Chicken Thighs
I’m sharing my secrets to crispy, juicy chicken thighs:
- Preheat your skillet over medium heat for a good 5 minutes before adding in the chicken thighs. You want a well heated pan.
- Pat the chicken thighs COMPLETELY dry so there is no moisture. Moisture creates steam, which prevents the skin from getting crispy.
- Start the thighs skin side down.
- Cook the chicken thighs over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. You want to gently and gradually crisp up that skin. I used to cook the thighs over high heat, which would lead to burning and uneven cooking of the skin. This method is way better.
- After you’ve crisped up the skin, finish cooking the thighs in a the oven on a rimmed baking sheet. The rimmed baking sheet lets all the juices drip without getting the crispy skin soggy.
The other huge star in this dinner is the mushroom gravy. I want to put this gravy on EVERYTHING!
I make the gravy with sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic, add in thyme, chicken stock and arrowroot powder, then at the end add in a dollop of cashew cream and lemon zest. Delicious! And so healthy!
These chicken thighs with mushroom gravy are particularly perfect served with my Whole30 + Keto Mashed Cauliflower.
This has become my husbands newest most requested dinner I make. He loves it. My 3 year old loves it. And I of course love it. Especially since it’s so healthy! Paleo, whole30, keto, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, soy free, clean eating, healthy living, real food.
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mushroom Chicken Thighs
Crispy Chicken Thighs
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, about 2 pounds (I get my chicken from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt + pepper
Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- 8 ounces organic crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh or dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon cashew cream
- zest from half a lemon
- Mashed Cauliflower whole30 + keto or Mashed Potatoes (whole30)
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF with the oven rack in the middle. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup), and place a baking rack on top of the parchment paper inside the rimmed baking sheet.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. While the skillet is heating, pat the chicken thighs completely dry with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt + pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the pan, and cook the chicken thighs skin side DOWN for 8-10 minutes over medium heat. Do not move the chicken thighs around in the pan. By cooking them over medium heat for a longer amount of time, they skin gets golden brown and ultra crispy.
- When the thighs are crispy and golden brown, transfer them to the rimmed baking sheet skin side UP. Finish roasting in the 425ºF oven for another 10-15 minutes until the thighs have in internal temperature of 165ºF using a meat thermometer.
- While the thighs are roasting in the oven, remove all but 1 tablespoon fat from the same cast iron skillet. Over medium heat, add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are soft and turning golden brown, about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping up all the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- In a measuring cup, whisk to combine the chicken stock and arrowroot powder. Add to the pan with the cooked mushrooms and onions. Heat over medium until bubbling, 3-5 minutes. The heat will activate the arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add in the cashew cream and lemon zest, and stir to combine. Add the chicken thighs back in to the pan.
- Serve warm. Amazing with my Whole30 + Keto Mashed Cauliflower or Whole30 Mashed Potatoes!
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for 5 days.
Nutrition facts are calculated as a courtesy and not guaranteed.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!