Curried Chicken Salad and Apple Wraps
When I make these curried chicken salad and apple wraps for dinner, I know I’m in for a good lunch the next day.
For the most part, I pretty much fail at lunch. Especially during the work week. True story, I have had a chicken caesar salad every day for lunch for the past 2 weeks. With an insane amount of parmesan cheese of course. Is there such a thing as too much parmesan on a caesar salad? Because I’ve yet to encounter it.
So as you can tell, I put the minimal amount of effort into lunch time.
But the leftovers of this curried chicken salad are almost better the next day than they are made fresh. Whenever I make these, I’ll make a little extra so I can have delicious wraps for lunch the next few days.
I have a major food crush on chicken salad. And this curry and apple version might just be my favorite. If you get eeked out by mayonnaise, then this is the chicken salad for you. Instead of mayonnaise it’s made with nonfat greek yogurt. The yogurt pairs wonderfully with the curry flavor, and it’s less calories too.
The real star of this curried chicken salad is the mango ginger chutney. I found this little gem wandering the aisles of Trader Joe’s. It is sweet and slightly spicy, and comes alive when mixed with greek yogurt and lime. Mmmm! I could eat it with a spoon!
I keep the rest of the ingredients pretty simple. Just some shredded chicken, green apples and scallions.
This is the perfect recipe to use up leftover roasted chicken. Since the chicken is already cooked, I can have this dinner on the table in less than 15 minutes. If I don’t have leftover chicken, I’ll just pick up one of those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. A real life saver on busy days.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken* (I get my chicken from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- 1 medium green apple, unpeeled, chopped into 1/2” cubes
- 4 scallions, green and white parts chopped
- 5 ounces plain, nonfat greek yogurt** (about 1/2 cup)
- 5 ounces mango chutney (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 1/2 lime, about 1 tablespoon
- 4 tortillas***
- shredded lettuce
- In a small mixing bowl, make the curried greek yogurt sauce by combing the greek yogurt, chutney, curry powder, lime zest and lime juice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, chopped apple and scallions. Top with the curried greek yogurt sauce, toss to combine.
- Warm your tortillas to make them soft, fill with curried chicken salad, top with shredded lettuce, and roll into a wrap.
- Curried chicken salad will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4 days.
*I love to use cold, leftover chicken after I’ve made a roasted chicken the day before, chicken from a rotisserie I bought at the store, or sometimes I’ll quickly roast or poach some chicken.
**They sell the mango chutney at Trader Joe’s. You should be able to find mango or other flavored chutneys at your grocery store in the international aisle. If you can’t find any chutney, you could use apricot jelly.
***Besides making delicious wraps, this curried chicken salad makes a delicious sandwich on bread, topped on lettuce as a salad, or eaten with crackers as a dip.
- Calories: 430
- Sugar: 26.5g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 63g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 31g
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!