Five Things for Friday
1. We had the best weekend away in Murphy’s, CA! If you live around the Bay Area, it is such a quaint, fun town you need to check out. My favorite hidden gem for a weekend away. There are about 20 different wine tasting rooms spread across 4 blocks, so everything is within walking distance. There’s also a great restaurants, art galleries, an olive oil and balsamic boutique, spice store, antique store, and an Old Timer’s Museum.
Over President’s Day Weekend every year, Murphy’s has a wine weekend event. For $20 you get to taste at 18 different tasting rooms, over all 3 days, and you get to keep the wine glass! We have gone about 5 different times, and it is one of my favorite weekends.
We rented a vacation home in town that was right next to a big pond, and as soon as it was dark all you could hear was frogs. So peaceful and wonderful.
2. My birthday was this week! Shawn surprised me with the sweetest gift. My favorite place at our house is our side yard that overlooks our hill to the creek. We already had 4 adirondak chairs we got off Craigslist, but I’ve been wanting to get 2 more so we have enough for my whole family, and find a way to light it so we can hang out there when it’s dark. As a present, he built 2 more adirondak chairs, and strung up string lights so it’s well lit.
He had me cover my eyes when I got home from work and walked me out there to show me. Waiting was this sweet little spread for us to enjoy before dinner. Love our side yard even more now!
3. For my birthday dinner, we went to Chez Panisse, which I have been wanting to go to for forever. I just love Alice Waters. This was definitely the fanciest dinner I’ve ever been to. They cook a set menu that changes every day, with only in season ingredients. Everything was so delicious! I was definitely that obnoxious girl taking pictures of every course. Was too pretty not to.
4. My mom, sister and I all work together and share an office. It is the best. Nicole and I clearly love make up time in the mornings. You guys use the Photo Booth app on your iMac as a mirror too, right?
5. Have you started taxes yet? Shawn started ours, and I came home to this craziness yesterday. Ewww!
18 Comments on “Five Things for Friday”
Your side yard is the CUTEST! Seriously, I want it! I need to something cute with mine. It’s just kinda unmotivating when its over 100 degrees 8 months out of the year. Ugh. And taxes… oy… I’m avoiding it at all costs!
Happy Birthday! What a cool gift. I would love to go to chez panisse, if I ever get to California. I finished my taxes last week- yay happy dance !
Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day! And thanks a lot for remindng me about taxes…I’ve been trying to put that out of mind for as long as possible. ;)
Happy birthday again dear Natalie. Sounds like you had a great one. Your backyard photos make me blue. It’s so cold and disgusting here in NJ I miss my backyard and want the Spring to get here already. Your family pictures are great
Happy belated birthday, Natalie! Shawn treated you like a queen, how wonderful that set up was in the backyard, and Chez Pannise is so nice! I’ve only been to the cafe upstairs twice. One day I will venture downstairs! I love all the photos you shared from Murphys too — what a fun time!
Such a sweet post, I love it! Your yard set up is beauuutiful!! Enjoy your weekend, friend! :)
Happy belated birthday, Natalie! I am super jealous of your lil setup there in your side yard, looks so pretty and relaxing! Have a great week-end!
Happy birthday, my beautiful friend! I wish you all the best ;-) I am glad you enjoyed your especial day with your kind and romantic husband. He really prepared such a cute surprise for you. How sweet. You and your sister look alike!! I love this post and I am always looking forward to the next one ;-)
Wow! It looks like you had a such a fun weekend, Natalie! Those chairs are fantastic – nothing better than a handy man to build you things! I’m so jealous that you can sit outside – it makes me long for spring even more. Oh, and that restaurant food looks and sounds fabulous – I’d be taking pictures of everything too! Happy Belated Birthday! Oh, and thanks for reminding me that I need to do my taxes.. I’m sure I’ll continue to put it off, though!
Happy Bday, Natalie! :) And what a beautiful little nook you have in your side yard. I seriously cannot WAIT to live in a house. Im so tired of the apartment life… :(
THE CUTENESS CANNOT BE CONTAINED!!! this post really made me smile, happy belated doll!! xx
Murphy’s sounds like my kind of place! And what a deal too! Sounds like you had a great birthday :-) And that picture of your tax prep literally gives me a panic attack. My hubby keeps on asking me if I’ve gotten started with the taxes and I keep on telling him I’ll get it done next week. Boo! I hate taxes! Have a great weekend!
I love Murphy’s! I never knew about the wine weekend. And Shawn is making it hard for men everywhere with his thoughtful gifts, but those chairs are really too sweet. I went to Chez Panisse for my birthday a few years ago! So tasty. Put Gary Danko on your birthday list for next year. It is probably my favorite fancy dinner…I dream about the lobster risotto…and the impeccable service is like watching a broadway show. Happy belated bday!
Just looked up Gary Danko, and it is now on my Must Try restaurant list! So fun!
Happy belated Birthday, Natalie! It sounds like it was a good one. :) I’ll have to visit Murphy’s sometime. It sounds like a really fun place!
Ugh, all those tax documents make me want to hyperventilate. But your weekend in Murphy’s sounds and looks fabulous! I’m so envious of all the green I see in your pictures . . . we’re under about 8 inches of snow in 5-degree cold right now. So ready for spring!
Well, happy belated birthday, Natalie! It sounds like you had a perfect birthday week! YAY for wine and cheese apps and fancy dinners! P.S. Do I spy your bacon-wrapped dates included in that gorgeous spread?! ;)
Have a fabulous weekend, lady! xoxo
Those indeed are the bacon wrapped dates! You should win a prize for noticing that! You’re the best Sarah : )