Tangerine and Thyme Martini
Tangerine & Thyme Martini cocktail – a refreshing vodka martini with fresh tangerine juice and sweetened with a honey thyme simple syrup.
Now that Shawn and I live on so much land, we are excited to plant a huge garden this spring. We’ve also dreamt of planting citrus fruit trees around the property. I cook with a lot of citrus, and would love to be able to walk outside and pick them fresh from our own trees.
I was at Costco last week, and they had little lemon, lime, grapefruit and tangerine trees for only $17 each. I took a picture of the planting directions to show Shawn when I got home to see if they would work on our property, assuming I could buy them later in the week.
Why, oh why, didn’t I just buy the plants then?
On Saturday morning we decided to head to Costco to buy a few of the trees to plant. By the time we got there, all that was left was grapefruit trees.
Then the never-ending citrus tree search began. We stopped by Home Depot, and they had lemon and lime trees, but they were almost $40 each. Convinced I could find some for a better price somewhere else, the search continued. We then drove to another Costco a few towns away. They were all out too. So was Lowe’s. And so was our local garden center store.
Even though I don’t my own citrus trees yet, I made this delicious tangerine & thyme martini with some gorgeous tangerines I bought at the farmers market. Citrus with the leaves still on just taste better.
A citrus and herb drink is my favorite kind of cocktail. I love the combination of the tart from the tangerine with the earthy herb aroma from the thyme. To give the martini a touch of sweetness, I made a honey thyme simple syrup.
I made this tangerine & thyme martini again last night for my sister and I to sip while watching the Oscars. Even though we watched it on the couch in our pajamas, we felt very fancy drinking our martinis.
Tangerine & Honey Thyme Martini
Honey Thyme Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup honey
- 10 sprigs of thyme
Tangerine & Honey Thyme Cocktail
- 2 ounces vodka
- Juice from 1 tangerine, about 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon honey thyme simple syrup
- spring of thyme for garnish
- In a small sauce pan, bring water and honey to a boil. Stir until the honey is dissolved. Keep an eye on it, the simple syrup will bubble up as soon as it starts boiling. Pour the warm simple syrup into a glass container and add the sprigs of thyme to steep. Transfer to the fridge to cool.
- In a martini shaker, combine all the cocktail ingredients with ice and shake until cold. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a sprig of thyme.
More of my favorite cocktail recipes:
More Cocktails from my Blogging Friends: