It’s grilling season!
Well, to be fair, every season here in California is grilling season. Even on rainy days I’ll still send Shawn out onto the deck with some chicken to grill up. But now that it’s sunny outside I’ll go out and join him with a cold glass of wine. It’s the best.
Using the barbeque is one area I feel completely clueless when it comes to cooking. I’m not even sure I know how to turn it on. Grilling is all Shawn. He is the king of it. And I of course love it because it means I just prep everything, hand him the meat and veggies on a platter, then relax on the couch until everything is cooked and ready to go.
These steak and vegetable kabobs are the perfect summer dish. The steak is marinated in a delicious garlic and ginger Asian marinade. Gives it great flavor without adding a ton of extra calories.
I’m a real stickler for steak that’s cooked medium-rare/medium, so to make sure that the steak and vegetable kabobs are both cooked perfectly I like to keep them on their own skewers. That way I can pull the vegetables off as soon as their done cooking, and keep the steak going.
And by me, I of course mean Shawn. Because he does all the outdoor cooking. And I’m going to keep it that way.
Steak and Vegetable Kabobs
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 2″ pieces (I get my steak from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2″ thick half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 2″ pieces
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, whole
- Canola oil or olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
- 14 wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 10 minutes
Asian Steak Marinade
- Make the marinade by mixing all of the ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl or ziploc bag. Add in the steak and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Make the veggie kabobs by alternating all of the vegetables, spraying with nonstick spray, and seasoning with salt and pepper. Make the steak kabobs by skewering the steak.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat and oil the grates. Put on the vegetable and steak skewers at the same time. Turn the steak after 5 minutes, and cook for another 5 minutes. Brush the steaks with extra marinade as they are cooking. Remove the steak when cooked thru and tent with foil. Meanwhile, turn the vegetables every minute or so until they are cooked thru, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately. Leftovers will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!