Keto Beef Enchiladas
Keto Beef Enchiladas Recipe + Video Demo – 6 net carbs! A low carb enchilada made without tortillas. Using my favorite keto friendly wrap, and a homemade enchilada sauce! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free options, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
I’ve made a low carb version of one of my favorite Mexican dishes, and it tastes JUST AS GOOD as the original!
These keto beef enchiladas are going to be your new favorite dinner.
Table of Contents
Keto Red Enchilada Sauce
I use a homemade enchilada sauce that is SO easy to make, you’ll never buy it at the store again. Plus, it’s tastier and way more low carb.
Usually, enchilada sauce is thickened with flour or corn starch. To keep it keto friendly and gluten free, I’m using tapioca flour (sometimes called tapioca starch). It needs just 2 tablespoons for the whole batch, so the enchilada is low carb and perfect for the keto diet.
Along with tapioca flour, you need ghee (or butter), spices that I’m sure you already have in your spice cabinet, and some chicken stock. Simple simple!
Keto Enchiladas No Tortilla
I’ve found the best tortilla swap to make these enchiladas keto friendly. I love using these wraps that I get at Sprouts (I see them at Costco sometimes too!)
They are zero carb, and the perfect vessel to hold the enchiladas. They soak up the sauce perfectly, and are strong enough to hold the filling. Highly recommend! (Not sponsored, just sharing what I love!)
For the filling, I use ground beef with some onion and my favorite hack…cauliflower rice! The cauliflower takes on all the flavor of the beef as it cooks, so it stretches out the amount of meat for your enchiladas at a fraction of the price. Plus, sneaks in more veggies!
To flavor the beef filling I use salt and the enchilada sauce stirred right in to the beef. Then sprinkle in some cheese when rolling up the enchiladas. So delicious!
Watch Keto Beef Enchiladas Recipe Demo
Keto Beef Enchiladas
- 1 pound ground beef, I use 85% lean
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 10- ounce bag frozen cauliflower rice
- keto friendly wraps, I use these Crepini Egg Thins that I get at Sprouts in the fridge section next to the gluten free breads
- 1 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 batch homemade keto red enchilada sauce, or 1 cup of your favorite store bought enchilada sauce
- Toppings: chopped cilantro, avocado, sour cream, jalapeno, olives, etc.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF with the oven rack in the middle.
- Heat your cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the pan is warm, add the avocado oil, onion, ground beef + salt. Cook, breaking up the beef and stirring occasionally, until the beef is almost cooked through and the onions are soft, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the frozen cauliflower rice to the ground beef, and continue cooking until the cauliflower rice is thawed and all the moisture is absorbed, another 5 minutes. The cauliflower rice will absorb all the flavor of the ground beef, stretching out the amount of meat for a fraction of the cost. Plus, it gets more veggies into the dish! One of my favorite hacks.
- Last, stir in 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce into the ground beef mixture. Take it off the heat, and stir to combine.
- Assemble the enchiladas. Start by putting about 1/4 cup layer of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of your 9x13 baking dish. Then, lay out a wrap and spoon on a scant 1/4 cup of the ground beef mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese. Roll it up like a cigar and place it in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining wraps until your baking dish is full.
- Top with about 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce (or more if preferred) and a layer of shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until the enchiladas are warmed through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm topped with desired toppings.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
52 Comments on “Keto Beef Enchiladas”
These were delicious! We didn’t have the egg thins so we used keto-friendly low-carb tortillas. Thank you for this recipe; it will be added to my rotation of meals.
That’s a great swap! So glad these turned out so well!
I make these all the time. They are so good! They actually get better the next day, too. I’m not on a Keto diet but Siete Almond flour tortilla work great! The homemade enchilada sauce is so good and easy to make!
Thank you, Sarah! I am so glad you liked this recipe! I love that the flavors come out so much the second day- nothing better! So happy to have you here!
Forgot to add rating
aww thank you!
What a great recipe! Didn’t have time to make the enchilada sauce, used store bought, topped with spicy guacamole. Recipe is a keeper.
And thanks for introducing me to the crepini egg wraps. I was afraid it would taste eggy, but it blended in very well in this recipe. Thank you for the recipe!
I love to hear this! So glad it turned out for you and you were able to make some swaps that totally worked! You’re so very welcome!
Hey Natalie- to freeze this recipe do you freeze it before baking (after step 6)? Or bake it then freeze?
I’d freeze it before baking! But if you have leftovers after baking those could be frozen too. Either way! But if I’m making them for the freezer I freeze before baking!
So good and maybe my new favorite! I have yet to make a recipe of yours and not like it! Thank you for always being consistent and real with your recipes! I can’t tell you the number of people I have sent to your site because of your authenticity as a person and amazing food!
Thank you so much Victoria! You just made my day! I am so happy you have enjoyed my recipes and thank you so much for sending people to my site. Your feedback really means the world to me. So glad you are enjoying my enchiladas! I think they are my favorite too!
Made these and my family LOVED them. They liked them better than any enchilada recipes I had made before (and there were great ones!). I made the adult pan with the egg wraps and the kids pan with organic whole wheat tortillas. Everyone was raving! Thank you!
! I love that your family enjoyed them more than your regular enchiladas Amanda. That is quite a compliment! I really appreciate your feedback.