Whole30 + Keto Pesto Meatballs
Whole30 + Keto Pesto Meatballs Recipe + Video Demo – 6g net carbs! Meatballs made with pesto, then topped with pesto and served on low carb noodles. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
These Whole30 + Keto Pesto Meatballs are so fresh and light, come together in a snap, freeze great, and my kids cannot get enough of them. My favorite way to get my kids to eat red meat.
Table of Contents
Whole30 + Keto Pesto Meatballs Ingredients
My favorite meat mixture is to use 85% lean ground beef and 80% ground pork. Tons of flavor and healthy fats to keep them flavorful and juicy.
I also add in onions + garlic I sautéed in olive oil, 2 eggs to help bind them, dried basil, salt + pepper.
How To Bake Meatballs
To make these meatballs crispy + golden brown with almost no mess, I love to bake them in the oven. Much easier and more hands off than frying in the oven.
I line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (for easy cleanup) and set in the wire rack. By using the wire rack, it raises the meatballs up above all the fat that drips off. This allows the meatballs to get much crispier! Don’t have a wire rack? No problem! You can still bake them on a baking sheet. The bottoms will just be extra “juicy”.
Whole30 + Keto Friendly Pasta
I love serving these pesto meatballs with pesto noodles. My absolute *favorite* low carb, keto friendly and Whole30 friendly pasta to use is this hearts of palm pasta. It’s precooked, all you have to do is warm for 4 minutes in the sauce in a skillet. You don’t even need to drain! Just add straight from the pouch.
You could serve this with whatever noodle or noodle-swap-out you love most. Zucchini noodles would work great too!
Whole30 + Keto Pesto Meatballs
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef, I get my beef from ButcherBox, here's why it's the best
- 1 pound 80% lean ground pork, I get my pork from ButcherBox, here's why it's the best
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (for easy clean up), and place in a wire rimmed baking rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 3/4 cup almond flour and 1/2 cup pesto. Stir and set aside while it absorbs the liquid.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, garlic and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and turning golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- In the same large mixing bowl that has the almond flour and pesto, add the cooked onions & garlic, ground beef, ground pork, 2 eggs, dried basil, kosher salt and pepper. Use a potato masher (or your hands) to combine the meatball mixture.
- Use a large cookie scoop (or measure out 3 tablespoons) to scoop out meatballs. Place meatballs on wire baking sheet. Will make 24 meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Removed the baked meatballs from the oven, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the 3 packages of hearts of palm pasta and 3/4 cup pesto. Warm for 4 minutes.
- Serve the pesto noodles warm topped with meatballs.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!