Whole30 + Keto Dairy Free Pesto
Whole30 + Keto Dairy free pesto recipe + video – you don’t need the parmesan cheese! Made with fresh basil + pine nuts. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, clean eating, freezer friendly.
This whole30 + keto dairy free pesto is so delicious, it will blow your mind that there is absolutely no dairy in it.
Traditionally, pesto is made with a whole bunch of parmesan cheese in it. I left it out, added in a bit more salt, and it tastes like everything you love about pesto without upsetting your stomach!
Nuts To Use In Whole30 + Keto Dairy Free Pesto
Pesto sauce is most commonly made with pine nuts, which is my favorite nut to use because they’re nutty, slightly sweet, and taste delicious when toasted.
However, pine nuts are very pricey. You can easily swap in another nut. I’ve also made this with almonds, walnuts, pecans and pistachios. Each nut gives the pesto a tasty and unique flavor. Feel free to use whichever nut you have on hand.
Making Whole30 + Keto Dairy Free Pesto in a Food Processor
My favorite way to make this pesto is in a food processor. It’s the easiest to scrape out because you can remove the whole blade.
Freezing Whole30 + Keto Dairy Free Pesto
This pesto sauce freezes beautifully. I use wide mouth pint mason jars to store it because they are freezer friendly. I thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and I can enjoy fresh pesto even in the middle of winter!
I highly recommend you make a bunch of batches in the summer because that is when basil is at its peak freshness. For this reason, I plant lots of basil in my garden, and also buy it in bulk at the farmers market. Can’t beat that fresh taste!
Watch How To Make Whole30 + Keto Dairy Free Pesto
Recipes Using Whole30 + Keto Dairy Free Pesto
- Keto + Whole30 Pesto Meatballs
- Keto + Whole30 Almond Crusted Pesto Chicken
- Keto + Whole30 Spaghetti Squash with Pesto + Sausage
- Keto + Whole30 Pesto Mahi Mahi
- Keto + Whole30 Scrambled Eggs with Pesto + Tomatoes
- In a food processor, combine the basil, pine nuts, garlic, and salt. Pulse until all the ingredients are finely chopped. Add in the olive oil, and blend until combined. If needed, add in more olive oil until desired consistency.
- To prevent the top of the pesto sauce from turning brown as it sits in the fridge (oxidizing), pour on enough olive oil to cover the whole top. This will prevent oxygen reaching the pesto sauce, and will keep it green. Not necessary, for looks only.
- Will keep in a wide mouth pint mason jar in the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 1 year. I store my dairy free pesto in wide mouth pint mason jars since they’re freezer friendly!
If your pine nuts are raw, roast in a 350ºF oven for 5-8 minutes, until golden brown.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!