Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Beef Stew
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe + Video – 6g net carbs! Hearty low carb beef stew, thickened with dried mushrooms you blend into a powder! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, low carb, clean eating, real food.
You are looking at the world’s BEST whole30 + keto instant pot beef stew.
This is no exaggeration. This beef stew is out of this world delicious. Tender beef, perfectly cooked vegetables, and the most intensely flavorful broth.
Ingredients in Whole30 + Keto Beef Stew
I made 2 major adjustments to traditional beef stew to keep this whole30 + keto.
First, I made a genius swap out for the normal thickener of white flour. I grind up dried shiitake mushrooms in my blender until they are a powder! This thickens the stew, and adds the beefy flavor. If you’re not a mushroom lover, don’t worry, this doesn’t make it taste like mushrooms.
Second, rather than using potatoes, I substituted turnips! They are low in carb, and taste just like potatoes when cooked in this stew. You could also substitute radishes!
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Beef Stew
The best part of this stew is how incredibly EASY it is to make! You just add all the ingredients into the instant pot raw. No need to brown the meat or soften the vegetables!
I tested the recipe out both ways, and I couldn’t taste a difference. So skip all the browning and sauteeing and make it even easier for yourself!
You will pressure cook it for 40 minutes, then delicious beef stew is ready for you! (I also include slow cooker and dutch oven instructions in the recipe notes if you don’t have an instant pot yet. But really, you NEED an instant pot!)
Meat To Use in Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Beef Stew
I get my beef stew meat from Butcherbox (which I highly recommend!). They’re beef stew meat is so incredibly flavorful. Since it is the star of the stew, you want to make sure you are getting high quality meat.
I love Butcherbox because all of their beef is 100% grass-fed and grass-finished, from pasture raised cows that are never treated with hormones or antibiotics.
Meal Prep Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Beef Stew
I love this beef stew because it makes 6 portions, so you’ll have plenty for leftovers! Best meal prep lunch or make ahead dinner.
It also freezes beautifully. I include meal prep and freezer instructions in the recipe notes.
Watch Beef Stew Recipe Video (57 seconds)
- 2 pounds beef stew meat (I get my hormone + antibiotic free beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 4 carrots, chopped into 3/4” chunks
- 6 stalks of celery, chopped into 3/4” chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 3/4” chunks
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves (can substitute 2 teaspoons dried thyme)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt + pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock, or more for a thinner stew
- In your high speed blender, blend up the dried mushrooms until they are a powder. Add in the chicken stock, then blend to get it fully incorporated.
- In your instant pot, add in all the raw ingredients, including the mushroom bone broth mixture. No need to brown the meat or sauté the vegetables!
- Cover your instant pot, make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. Will take about 15 minutes to reach pressure, then it will start counting down from 40.
- Do a quick release.
- Taste for salt + pepper. Add more chicken stock if you like a thinner beef stew.
- Serve warm.
- Leftovers will keep for at least 5 days refrigerated in an airtight container. Or frozen for 6 months.
Slow Cooker + Stovetop Instructions: I have a separate slow cooker beef stew recipe that includes stovetop instructions too! (Just sub turnips for potatoes to keep it keto if needed)
Meal Prep Instructions: Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, or 6 months in the freezer. HEATING: Either microwave until warm, about 3-5 minutes, or reheat on the stove top in a pot until warm.
Freezing Instructions: Freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 6 months. To reheat, thaw overnight. Reheat on the stovetop until warm.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!