Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce Recipe + Video – a low carb, hearty vegetable and meat Italian sauce that is ready in under 1 hour, but tastes like it’s been simmering all day! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
I really can’t stop with the instant pot recipes! It’s so fast it’s almost like magic.
These whole30 + keto instant pot bolognese sauce tastes like it’s been slow simmering all day, but it’s ready in 40 minutes!
Table of Contents
Ingredients in Bolognese Sauce
If you’ve never had bolognese sauce before, it’s an Italian meat sauce with beef, pork, bacon (or pancetta) and vegetables that makes the most intensely delicious pasta sauce.
You add in carrots, celery, onion + spices, which not only adds more flavor but also sneaks in more vegetables.
Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
Normally, you slowly simmer the bolognese sauce on the stove for hours and hours to infuse all the flavor and get it thick and hearty.
With the instant pot, the cook time is only 20 minutes and it tastes JUST as good! It is amazing! Kind of changed my life.
Serving Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
To keep this whole30 + keto, I love serving this bolognese sauce over zucchini noodles. It is the best low carb noodle substitute.
If it works with your diet, you can also use spaghetti squash (still whole30!), gluten free pasta or even regular pasta.
Freezing + Meal Prep Bolognese Sauce
This recipe makes enough bolognese sauce for 8 servings. So you’ll have lots of leftovers!
The bolognese sauce freezes beautifully! I love freezing it in these glass airtight containers. You could also use wide mouth pint mason jars, which are freezer friendly. You can also use the leftovers for meal prep lunches for the week! It reheats great in the microwave with zucchini noodles.
Freezing + meal prep instructions are in the recipe notes.
Watch Bolognese Recipe Demo Video (3:00 mins)
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef, I get my hormone + antibiotic free beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!
- 1 pound ground pork, I get my hormone + antibiotic free pork from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!
- 28- ounce can San Marzano Tomatoes, pureed in your blender or in the can with your immersion blender
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup cashew cream, <- link to homemade. Could substitute Nutpods Original Flavor
- zucchini noodles for serving
- Set your instant pot to SAUTE. Add the olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme + oregano. Saute until soft, about 5-10 minutes
- Add in the bacon, beef + pork. Break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the bone broth, pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley + bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Press CANCEL. Cover and make sure the valve is at sealing.
- Press PRESSURE COOK and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Remove the lid, then hit CANCEL. Then press SAUTE over high for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Press CANCEL, then stir in cashew cream. Taste and season with more salt + pepper if necessary.
- Serve warm over zucchini noodles topped with more parsley.
- Will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
17 Comments on “Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce”
This bolognese is so easy and delicious! I would highly recommend. I couldn’t believe how quickly it all came together but still tasted like.it simmered all day. Only changes I made were that I grated the carrot so they would melt into the sauce and added some finely diced mushrooms that I needed to use up. My husband and I went to Italy for our honeymoon and this smelled and tasted so similar to some of the food we had there-so nostalgic.
Korey! This is such an amazing comment! I am so honored that I could help you remember your honeymoon in Italy with this sauce. That is so cool! Love having you here!
AMAZING!!! I took the sauce and cashew cream and turned it into lasagna using the Natural Heaven lasagna. SO GOOD!!
Omg brilliant! I’ve got to try that myself!
HOLY YUMMM! I never leave reviews… especially if my email is required. But this. recipe. was. amazing.
I mean, clean the bowl get every single drop amazing! It needs more reviews so I’m leaving one. My new favorite instant pot recipe even when I’m past the Whole 30. This will be in my rotation forever.
Thank you so much for your review Maggie! I am so honored you left me one, especially since you normally don’t review recipes. Your feedback really means the world to me. I am so glad it is one of your favorite Instant Pot recipes and will be in your regular recipe rotation.
AMAZING!!! Husband and I devoured it! Thank you so much!!
I just made this tonight and it was delicious!! It made a ton too, so a lot of leftovers for the weekend! Thanks so much for another great recipe!
I am so glad you liked my bolognese Alyson! That is fantastic that you have plenty of leftovers for this weekend! I actually think it tastes better the next day!
Another great recipe. This is my third time doing it and I love it. Easy , fast and yummy
I am so happy you like this Paula! Can’t beat a recipe that is easy, fast and yummy! Thanks for the nice compliment.
I make this every Sunday night. It’s so good! I serve it with spaghetti squash for me and regular pasta for the rest of my family. Easy, delicious comfort food.
Oh my goodness Joanna! I am just thrilled that this has become your Sunday night dinner. What a wonderful compliment! Thank you.
The most delicious sauce. Easy to make and my whole family loved it!!!
I am so glad that your family liked this!
I made this tonight and it’s so easy and so delicious ! I don’t have cashew cream but I do have the original Nut Pods , and used that. Question though – is it ok to freeze with the NutPods incorporated, or add later ? Making more to freeze!
Yea! I’m so happy to hear that Marcia! Nutpods original flavor works perfect for this recipe! And yes, totally ok to freeze with the nutpods already stirred in. Won’t effect it at all.