Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce Recipe + Video – a low carb, hearty vegetable and meat Italian sauce that is ready in under 1 hour, but tastes like it’s been simmering all day! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
I really can’t stop with the instant pot recipes! It’s so fast it’s almost like magic.
These whole30 + keto instant pot bolognese sauce tastes like it’s been slow simmering all day, but it’s ready in 40 minutes!
Ingredients in Bolognese Sauce
If you’ve never had bolognese sauce before, it’s an Italian meat sauce with beef, pork, bacon (or pancetta) and vegetables that makes the most intensely delicious pasta sauce.
You add in carrots, celery, onion + spices, which not only adds more flavor but also sneaks in more vegetables.
Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
Normally, you slowly simmer the bolognese sauce on the stove for hours and hours to infuse all the flavor and get it thick and hearty.
With the instant pot, the cook time is only 20 minutes and it tastes JUST as good! It is amazing! Kind of changed my life.
Serving Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
To keep this whole30 + keto, I love serving this bolognese sauce over zucchini noodles. It is the best low carb noodle substitute.
If it works with your diet, you can also use spaghetti squash (still whole30!), gluten free pasta or even regular pasta.
Freezing + Meal Prep Bolognese Sauce
This recipe makes enough bolognese sauce for 8 servings. So you’ll have lots of leftovers!
The bolognese sauce freezes beautifully! I love freezing it in these glass airtight containers. You could also use wide mouth pint mason jars, which are freezer friendly. You can also use the leftovers for meal prep lunches for the week! It reheats great in the microwave with zucchini noodles.
Freezing + meal prep instructions are in the recipe notes.
Watch Bolognese Recipe Demo Video (3:00 mins)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef (I get my hormone + antibiotic free beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 1 pound ground pork (I get my hormone + antibiotic free pork from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 28-ounce can San Marzano Tomatoes (pureed in your blender or in the can with your immersion blender)
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup cashew cream (<- link to homemade. Could substitute Nutpods Original Flavor)
- zucchini noodles for serving
- Set your instant pot to SAUTE. Add the olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme + oregano. Saute until soft, about 5-10 minutes
- Add in the bacon, beef + pork. Break up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the bone broth, pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley + bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- Press CANCEL. Cover and make sure the valve is at sealing.
- Press PRESSURE COOK and cook at high pressure for 20 minutes, followed by a quick release.
- Remove the lid, then hit CANCEL. Then press SAUTE over high for 10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Press CANCEL, then stir in cashew cream. Taste and season with more salt + pepper if necessary.
- Serve warm over zucchini noodles topped with more parsley.
- Will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
Meal Prep Instructions: Store in an airtight container with zucchini noodles for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. HEATING: Microwave until warm, about 3-5 minutes (I like to sprinkle in a little water to help it steam and prevent it from drying out).
Freezing Instructions: Freeze in a freezer safe container for at least 5 days. HEATING: Thaw in the fridge overnight, then warm on the stovetop. Then serve with zucchini noodles.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!