Happy first day of spring! Now let’s get bikini ready with these easy, healthy Asian ground turkey lettuce wraps.
I have 2 reactions when it starts to get sunny outside.
1. Yea! It’s almost summer!
2. Oh my GOD! I’m going to need to wear a swim suit soon.
Please tell me you all do that too.
So I’ve been hitting the gym since Monday telling myself, “I can be bikini ready in a month? Right? Oh MAN! Why didn’t I start this in January like everyone else?!” Then I answered myself with “That’s because……I was…….injured…….Oh yea!…..That’s right! From that hard fall skiing in January? And I thought I broke my butt, but really I just bruised my tail bone? And it hurt to even sit down, let alone do sit ups. That’s why I tell ya!”
Then I don’t feel so guilty.
Along with working out all week (and walking around like a cripple because my legs are so sore from doing squats and lunges), I’ve been eating better. Which means Shawn is eating better too. Yesterday I came home from the gym starving and asked him at 5:30 if he was hungry for dinner.
“Meh? What do you mean meh? You’re not starving? Wait a minute, Shawn. Whatdidyouhaveforlunch?”
“Shawn! You had Chipotle for lunch?! That’s not fair! I had a protein shake and snap peas. I’m going to kill you.”
“Don’t worry Nat. It was a veggie burrito! I didn’t even get meat. It was basically a salad.”
The guys got a lot to learn about nutrition.
Truth be told, I would choose these healthy Asian ground turkey lettuce wraps over a Chipotle burrito any day. They are that good! It’s lean ground turkey cooked with onion, fresh ginger and soy sauce. Spoon it into a lettuce cup, top it with crunchy shredded carrots, green onions, peanuts and that amazing Asian peanut sauce I made on Tuesday. Oooohweee it’s tasty!
And easy to make too. I can have this dinner on the table in 25 minutes. Great for days after the gym when I’m so hungry I could eat the couch, but so wiped out all I want to do is lay on that couch as I eat it. Poor couch. Don’t worry, I won’t eat you. I’ll just sit on you as I eat my way thru at least 3 of these Asian turkey lettuce wraps.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3" long piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 1 head butter, Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup salted peanuts
- Asian peanut sauce
- In a medium size skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add in the onions, ginger, salt and pepper, cooking until the onion starts to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the ground turkey to the same skillet along with the onions, garlic and ginger, breaking it up as it cooks, about 10 minutes. Add in the ¼ cup soy sauce, turn the heat up to high until all of the soy sauce is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the cooled ground turkey into the lettuce cups and top with shredded carrots, green onions, peanuts and Asian peanut sauce.
- The turkey mixture will keep in an airtight container for 1 week in the fridge.