Healthy mashed carrots make a great low carb substitute for mashed potatoes. Creamy, velvety texture that is full of flavor & low in calories.
Our Christmas trip to Mexico is now officially 1 month away! But there’s a small problem. Do you know how many starchy, sugary, carby foods are going to be served up between now and then!? Between Thanksgiving next week, and many holiday parties in December, I’m not sure how great Shawn and I are going to be looking in our swim suits by the end of December. It’s like temptation central!
In order to combat this, we are currently off sugar, and trying to avoid carbs. That way, when we indulge at Thanksgiving and holiday parties we won’t feel so guilty. It’s all about balance, right?
For dinners we’ve been eating lots of lean protein and vegetables. One of my favorite side dishes are these healthy mashed carrots! Extremely low carb, and sugar free. They’re a great substitute for mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes. I’ve made mashed cauliflower in the past, and while they taste great and certainly look like mashed potatoes, the texture has never been the smooth and velvety texture of mashed potatoes. Solution? Mashed carrots. You cook them exactly like you would mashed potatoes, and by using an immersion blender they get perfectly smooth and creamy. Just the texture you want.
Unlike bland potatoes, carrots already have a ton of flavor. I just season them with a little butter, chicken stock, salt and pepper and they taste amazing. Plus, you don’t even need to peel the carrots, which was my least favorite part of making mashed potatoes. Just give the carrots a good scrub under the sink, and they’re good to go.
- 2 pounds carrots (about 12 large carrots), scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons butter, or more to taste (substitute Earth Balance for vegan)
- ½ cup chicken stock (substitute vegetable stock for vegan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Chop the carrots into even sizes, about 1" pieces. Boil in the water for about 15-20 minutes, or until a knife can easily be inserted and removed from the carrots. Drain the water, and add the carrots back to the pot. Add in the butter, chicken stock, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Mash the carrots using a hand masher until evenly mixed. To get the carrots extra smooth, puree the carrots using an immersion blender or food processor. Taste to see if they need more butter or salt. Serve warm.
For other great low carb sides, check out: