Gooey Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
These gooey chocolate chip toffee bars are a salty and sweet lovers dream! A shortbread crust with chocolate chips and walnuts, a gooey layer of sweetened condensed milk, and topped with toffee bits and even more chocolate chips. Perfect holiday treat to give to friends and neighbors.
You know what makes the holiday season even more sweet? Having a brand new, precious baby boy.
We left the hospital as a family of 3 on Thanksgiving day. Could not be more thankful! Since Josh is still so small, we stayed home Thanksgiving and skipped the big family dinner. Don’t want to risk little Josh getting sick! But, my mom brought us *tons* of leftovers, and Shawn and I have been enjoying leftovers and turkey sandwiches for days.
Shawn got so excited about decorating our house to make Josh’s first Christmas extra special. I sent Shawn to Target to grab a few last minute newborn needs, and he came home with bag after bag of Christmas decorations. It was so cute. He set to work straight away hanging lights outside, and decorating the most perfect 3.5″ tall Christmas tree that fits in the corner of our living room.
All while Josh and I cuddled on the couch watching Christmas movies. Absolute perfection.
It doesn’t really start to feel like Christmas until my sister and I make our traditional gooey chocolate chip toffee bars. They are our holiday favorite. Every year, the Saturday after Thanksgiving my sister and I get together and make SO many batches of these. We then hand them out to our neighbors and friends to spread holiday cheer. When we drop them off, our neighbors tell us how much they look forward to these bars. They are that good!
And we of course eat enough of these bars to give us a stomach ache. But hey, it’s December! Calories don’t count in December, right?
To make sure these gooey chocolate chip toffee bars turn out perfectly, we only use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour. This is the same high protein flour used by professional bakers and produces high, well-textured loaves of bread equally as well as it produces light, airy baked goods. This kitchen staple is incredibly versatile and perfect for all of your baking needs. It’s the only flour I use.
Spend your weekend baking up a batch (or two, or three!) of these gooey chocolate chip toffee bars. You won’t be able to stop after eating just one!
Gooey Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
- Non-stick cooking spray, I love coconut oil spray
- 2-1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, very cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8-oz package english toffee bits, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the oven rack in the middle. Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Then line with parchment paper that you have cut to fit, 1 sheet going width wise and 1 sheet going length wise. I pin the parchment paper down with metal binder clips. Then spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. Whisk to combine. Add in the cold butter, and cut into the flour and sugar with a pastry cutter until the butter is in pea size pieces. Add in the egg and stir to combine. Fold in 1-1/2 cups of the chocolate chips, and all the chopped walnuts. Stir to combine.
- Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the flour mixture. Pour the remaining flour mixture into the baking dish. Press in an even layer to the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and pour in the sweetened condensed milk. Reserve 1/4 cup of the toffee bits. Sprinkle the remaining toffee bits on top of the sweetened condensed milk. Then sprinkle with the reserved 1-1/2 cup flour mixture. Then sprinkle on the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with remaining 1/4 cup toffee bits. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Then lift out of the baking dish with the parchment. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
More Holiday Baked Goods
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!