Gooey Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
These gooey chocolate chip toffee bars are a salty and sweet lovers dream! A shortbread crust with chocolate chips and walnuts, a gooey layer of sweetened condensed milk, and topped with toffee bits and even more chocolate chips. Perfect holiday treat to give to friends and neighbors.
You know what makes the holiday season even more sweet? Having a brand new, precious baby boy.
We left the hospital as a family of 3 on Thanksgiving day. Could not be more thankful! Since Josh is still so small, we stayed home Thanksgiving and skipped the big family dinner. Don’t want to risk little Josh getting sick! But, my mom brought us *tons* of leftovers, and Shawn and I have been enjoying leftovers and turkey sandwiches for days.
Shawn got so excited about decorating our house to make Josh’s first Christmas extra special. I sent Shawn to Target to grab a few last minute newborn needs, and he came home with bag after bag of Christmas decorations. It was so cute. He set to work straight away hanging lights outside, and decorating the most perfect 3.5″ tall Christmas tree that fits in the corner of our living room.
All while Josh and I cuddled on the couch watching Christmas movies. Absolute perfection.
It doesn’t really start to feel like Christmas until my sister and I make our traditional gooey chocolate chip toffee bars. They are our holiday favorite. Every year, the Saturday after Thanksgiving my sister and I get together and make SO many batches of these. We then hand them out to our neighbors and friends to spread holiday cheer. When we drop them off, our neighbors tell us how much they look forward to these bars. They are that good!
And we of course eat enough of these bars to give us a stomach ache. But hey, it’s December! Calories don’t count in December, right?
To make sure these gooey chocolate chip toffee bars turn out perfectly, we only use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour. This is the same high protein flour used by professional bakers and produces high, well-textured loaves of bread equally as well as it produces light, airy baked goods. This kitchen staple is incredibly versatile and perfect for all of your baking needs. It’s the only flour I use.
Spend your weekend baking up a batch (or two, or three!) of these gooey chocolate chip toffee bars. You won’t be able to stop after eating just one!
Gooey Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars
- Non-stick cooking spray, I love coconut oil spray
- 2-1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic Unbleached All Purpose White Flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, very cold, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 8-oz package english toffee bits, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees with the oven rack in the middle. Spray a 9x13" glass baking dish with non-stick spray. Then line with parchment paper that you have cut to fit, 1 sheet going width wise and 1 sheet going length wise. I pin the parchment paper down with metal binder clips. Then spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. Whisk to combine. Add in the cold butter, and cut into the flour and sugar with a pastry cutter until the butter is in pea size pieces. Add in the egg and stir to combine. Fold in 1-1/2 cups of the chocolate chips, and all the chopped walnuts. Stir to combine.
- Reserve 1-1/2 cups of the flour mixture. Pour the remaining flour mixture into the baking dish. Press in an even layer to the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and pour in the sweetened condensed milk. Reserve 1/4 cup of the toffee bits. Sprinkle the remaining toffee bits on top of the sweetened condensed milk. Then sprinkle with the reserved 1-1/2 cup flour mixture. Then sprinkle on the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Top with remaining 1/4 cup toffee bits. Allow to cool for 30 minutes. Then lift out of the baking dish with the parchment. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
More Holiday Baked Goods
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
This post is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
21 Comments on “Gooey Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars”
I’m totally drooling over these gooey bars! I have enough sweets in my house right now to feed an army, but come January I have to make a batch of these. Because the New Year’s healthy eating can only last so long, right? ;)
What a beautiful way to spend Thanksgiving, my friend. I am so happy for you guys! Your little one is so cute and this bars looks so delicious ;-)
Aaw, I think that’s the best way to spend Thanksgiving, I’m so glad you guys are getting some precious snuggle time :) These bars look so gooey and amazing! I love the chocolate and toffee combo!
These bars look so insanely good! And ahh congrats!! Josh is absolutely precious!
Calories definitely don’t count in December – and these bars look fantastic! Enjoy all the baby cuddles, that will be a lovely way to spend Christmas!
I am so happy for you guys, those snuggly newborn days are priceless ;) And these bars look DELICIOUS! I am drooling!
I bet Christmas is going to feel extra special with your little one this year! Is it bad that I haven’t tried gooey bars before? They’re so on my baking list to try soon! These look delicious!
I need these!! Sweet and salty is my dessert dream and these are even better because they are so gooey and delicious looking too! I could see myself eating way too many of these :)
Mmm these bars look like perfection, Natalie! So gooey and delicious looking, but even better is your gorgeous baby boy :) so glad to hear you guys had a relaxing Thanksgiving with the newest family member!
I’m SO thrilled for you and Shawn!! Josh is just precious and I bet you are both super excited for Christmas :) These toffee bars look fabulous. What a great tradition to have with your sister!
My first baby was a Thanksgiving baby, and I remember that first Christmas season so well! Such a sweet and precious time. Enjoy!
I have GOT to try these! My family are the HUGEST sucker for gooey bars and I definitely think that these babies would go over well around here. ;) Love all the great step-by-step photos, Natalie!
Aww! Belated congrats on cute little Josh!! I’m not sure how you found the time to bake, but dang do these look delicious. Christmas treat season is my favorite. :D
This looks so decadent! Pinned it – I’ve got to give this one a try for the holidays! Yummy! :)
I love anything with chocolate and toffee in it and these bars have both!! They look delicious!!!
AHHH!! SOOO excited and happy for you, Natalie :)! I can only imagine how wonderful this Christmas will be with your sweet, adorable baby boy. And ummmm these cookie bars look like the bomb.com…I am totally stealing this Christmas tradition :). Pinned!
So happy the three of you are well and resting from delivery and hospital stay. No doubt settling in and getting acquainted is much needed right now. So sweet of your mom to take care of y’all too with all the leftovers! These bars! My Ma used to make something like these when I was a kid… I remember they were soooo good! These look fabulous my dear!
Oh Natalie, reading this post brought tears to my eyes! I’m so happy you’re doing well as a family of three. And how sweet of Shawn to decorate everything for Josh’s first Christmas!
And then there’s those gooey, uber-delicious bars that make me come over for a visit even more :)