Whole30 + Keto Chicken Piccata
Whole30 + Keto Chicken Piccata Recipe + Video – Only 1.5 carbs! A low carb breaded chicken with a lemon caper sauce. Ready in 30 minutes! Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating.
This Whole30 + Keto chicken piccata is so bright and light, and extremely keto friendly being less than 2 carbs!
It’s a breaded chicken that gets pan fried in avocado oil, then topped with a lemony caper sauce.
Breading for Whole30 + Keto Chicken Piccata
Instead of dredging the chicken in flour and parmesan cheese, I’ve dredged it in almond flour (update as of September 2019, I now prefer it dredged in pork panko!) This saves a TON of calories, adds even more protein, and makes the chicken gluten free, grain free, dairy free, keto & whole30 compliant.
The best part of chicken piccata is of course the sauce. My chicken piccata sauce is made with chicken stock, lemon juice and capers. That’s it! I make it in the same pan that the chicken was browned in to get all the brown bits that add tons of flavor to the sauce. Plus, any left over breading helps to thicken the sauce just a tad and add a little nuttiness and flavor.
I like to serve my whole30 + keto chicken piccata with spiralized zucchini noodles. (Update as of December 2020, hearts of palm pasta is now my favorite! So much more convenient to prepare!) It makes the dish feel even more Italian. But you could serve it with your favorite cooked vegetable. It is also delicious with cauliflower rice.
You’re going to love the sunshiney brightness of this chicken recipe, and you’re going to really love how healthy it is for you!
Watch Recipe Video Demo
If you make this chicken piccata be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you all and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to share and tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Whole30 + Keto Chicken Piccata
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half horizontally and pounded 1/2" thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + pepper
- 1 cup pork panko
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil or coconut oil
- 1-1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup lemon juice from about 1 juicy lemon
- 1/4 cup capers liquid drained
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Make your dredging station. On a large plate or bowl, add the pork panko. On a separate plate or bowl, add the beaten egg.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Dredge both sides of the chicken breasts in the egg wash, then in the pork panko, pressing lightly to encourage it to adhere.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the avocado oil. Sear the chicken breasts for about 5-7 minutes per side, until golden brown. Don't overcrowd the pan. You may need to cook your chicken in batches.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the chicken stock, lemon juice and capers to the pan. Turn the heat up to high. Scrape up any brown bits, and cook the sauce until it is reduced by half, for about 5-8 minutes.
- Turn the heat off. Add in the chopped parsley to the skillet and stir.
- Serve the chicken warm topped with the piccata sauce, over zucchini noodles or hearts of palm noodles.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days.
Nutrition facts are calculated as a courtesy and not guaranteed.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!