Rainbow chopped Thai chicken salad with delicious, crunchy vegetables in every color of the rainbow. Tossed with a sweet homemade Thai salad dressing.
Between my house and the freeway, there are about 6 different stoplights. Even though we live less than 2 miles from the freeway, it takes about 5-8 minutes to get there, depending on how many lights I hit. It’s the worst in the morning when I have to leave for work. I am almost guaranteed to hit every. single. light.
Until last week.
I left at my usual time, and as I got on the road I made it thru the first light with it already green and waiting for me. This has NEVER happened. I always have to wait at the first light since I’m making a left turn onto a busy road.
As I kept driving, I kept going thru light after light. A few times I saw a red light ahead, but as I got closer it turned green before I even had to slow down.
I approached the last light, and couldn’t believe it when it stayed green for me. I didn’t have to tap the brakes once between my driveway and the freeway. I was feeling pretty lucky that morning!
I was also feeling lucky the day I first made this salad. I love making us a big ‘ole salad for dinner. But it is hard to get Shawn excited about salad for dinner. Unless it is this ramen noodle chinese chicken salad, that he could eat every single week without complaint.
But this rainbow chopped Thai chicken salad got Shawn very excited. He went back for thirds, so you know it’s good.
This rainbow chopped Thai chicken salad has just about every color of the rainbow. Cabbage, bell pepper, carrots, cilantro, peanuts. So many crunchy, tasty vegetables. The salad is tossed in a sweet and sticky thai dressing that is made with sweet chili sauce, peanut butter, coconut milk, and lots of other flavorful ingredients.
This rainbow chopped Thai chicken salad has a lot of ingredients, but it’s easy to put together. Just a lot of chopping. To keep this extra easy, I pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and shred the chicken from that. But this salad is delicious without chicken too.Print
- 1 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger paste (sub 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
- juice from 1 lime, about 1 tablespoon
Rainbow Chopped Thai Chicken Salad
- 1 head napa cabbage, shredded, about 6 cups
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded, about 3 cups
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chopped into 1/2″ thick matchsticks
- 1 english cucumber, seeds removed and sliced into 1/4″ half moons
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed and white meat shredded, about 3 cups
- In a medium size sauce pan over medium high heat, combine all the dressing ingredients and stir to combine. Cook until well mixed, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- In a large salad bowl, combine all the salad ingredients. Top with desired amount of dressing and toss.
-I really like using the fresh ginger paste that comes in a squeeze tube in the produce section. It’s usually refrigerated next to all the fresh herbs.
-Adapted from How Sweet Eats
More Salad Recipes: