Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa Recipe + Video – mild spicy chipotle Mexican shredded beef. Quick + healthy dinner or meal prep! Slow cooker instructions too. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
This whole30 + keto instant pot barbacoa is the shredded mexican beef of your dreams!
Browning Meat for Instant Pot Barbacoa
What I love the most about this recipe is that it is a total dump and cook. I don’t even brown the meat!
I tested the recipe with browning the meat and not, and could not tell a difference in taste. Hurray for keeping it easy!
Marinade for Barbacoa
Barbacoa is traditionally made with canned chipotle peppers. But all the canned versions have sugar and not so great oils + preservatives.
To make it healthier, I replicate it by using dried chipotle powder! Adding in tomato paste and spices mimics the canned chipotle but keeps it whole30 + keto!
Serving Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa
The best part of this barbacoa is it makes a ton! So you’ll have leftovers for days! Perfect for meal prep. It freezes beautifully also. (Freezing instructions in the recipe notes below).
Our favorite way to serve our barbacoa is as a barbacoa burrito bowl with cauliflower rice, sheet pan fajita veggies, salsa + guacamole. You could also serve it over greens as a salad, or in lettuce leaf tacos.
Watch Recipe Video Demo (2:54 mins)
- 4 pounds bonesless chuck roast (I get my 100% grass fed beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup bone broth (or stock or broth, I use chicken but you could use beef too!)
- 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 teaspoons chipotle powder (or more for spicier!)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cut your chuck roast into 3″ cubes and add into the instant pot.
- In a food processor, make the cooking liquid by combining the onion, tomato paste, diced green chiles, garlic, spices and bone broth. Blend until liquid.
- Pour the liquid over the chuck roast. Give it a stir to coat all the meat. Add in the bay leaves.
- Close the instant pot, make sure the valve is at sealing. PRESSURE COOK on high for 1 hour. Then do a quick release.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks and serve with the cooking liquid. Discard the bay leaves. Our favorite way to serve it is a barbacoa burrito bowl with cauliflower rice, sheet pan fajita veggies, salsa + guacamole! You could also serve as a salad, or tacos using lettuce leaves.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days. Or frozen for 6 months. To reheat from frozen, thaw overnight then reheat in instant pot with it’s cooking liquid for 5 minutes on high pressure.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!