Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa Recipe + Video – mild spicy chipotle Mexican shredded beef. Quick + healthy dinner or meal prep! Slow cooker instructions too. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
My instant pot carnitas recipe has become a fan favorite with all of you! I got so many messages asking for a barbacoa recipe. Ask and you shall receive!
This whole30 + keto instant pot barbacoa is the shredded mexican beef of your dreams!
Table of Contents
Browning Meat for Instant Pot Barbacoa
What I love the most about this recipe is that it is a total dump and cook. I don’t even brown the meat!
I tested the recipe with browning the meat and not, and could not tell a difference in taste. Hurray for keeping it easy!
Marinade for Barbacoa
Barbacoa is traditionally made with canned chipotle peppers. But all the canned versions have sugar and not so great oils + preservatives.
To make it healthier, I replicate it by using dried chipotle powder! Adding in tomato paste and spices mimics the canned chipotle but keeps it whole30 + keto!
Serving Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa
The best part of this barbacoa is it makes a ton! So you’ll have leftovers for days! Perfect for meal prep. It freezes beautifully also. (Freezing instructions in the recipe notes below).
Our favorite way to serve our barbacoa is as a barbacoa burrito bowl with cauliflower rice, sheet pan fajita veggies, salsa + guacamole. You could also serve it over greens as a salad, or in lettuce leaf tacos.
Watch Recipe Video Demo (2:54 mins)
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa
- 4 pounds bonesless chuck roast, I get my 100% grass fed beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup bone broth, or stock or broth, I use chicken but you could use beef too!
- 4- ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 teaspoons chipotle powder, or more for spicier!
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Cut your chuck roast into 3" cubes and add into the instant pot.
- In a food processor, make the cooking liquid by combining the onion, tomato paste, diced green chiles, garlic, spices and bone broth. Blend until liquid.
- Pour the liquid over the chuck roast. Give it a stir to coat all the meat. Add in the bay leaves.
- Close the instant pot, make sure the valve is at sealing. PRESSURE COOK on high for 1 hour. Then do a quick release.
- Shred the meat with 2 forks and serve with the cooking liquid. Discard the bay leaves. Our favorite way to serve it is a barbacoa burrito bowl with cauliflower rice, sheet pan fajita veggies, salsa + guacamole! You could also serve as a salad, or tacos using lettuce leaves.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days. Or frozen for 6 months. To reheat from frozen, thaw overnight then reheat in instant pot with it's cooking liquid for 5 minutes on high pressure.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
52 Comments on “Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Barbacoa”
It was great! A little bland only because I forgot the bay leafs but I just added a little Cayenne, cumin, and onion powder after. Really is a great recipe!
Thanks, Angie! Glad you were able to spice it up after the fact!
This shit is the mother fuckin bomb. My wife was jizzing all over herself when she tried it. Fuckin turned out perfect. Thanks.
Well this is a new kind of compliment!
Omg, this was so good! I loved it just as much as the carnitas & that’s saying a lot because my family could not get enough of them! I didn’t have chipotle powder, so I subbed 3 chipotle peppers in adobo with a little of the sauce & used a little less tomato paste. Will be on regular rotation here!
Brilliant substitutions! I am so glad this turned out well for you and that your whole family loved it! Those are the best recipes!
Third time making your recipe and I love it more n more each time, easiest way for this Mexican girl to make yummy barbacoa, thanks for the keto friendly recipe
Hi Miriam! What a compliment! I am so happy you love it more each time- those are the best recipes! Honored to have you here!
SO SO yummy! Did it in our slow cooker and served it over cauliflower rice for 2 of us doing “healthy” and the rest ate it in tortillas. Everyone was happy.
I just love that you were able to serve it to satisfy everyone Karol. That is fantastic!
I wanted a healthier version of a Barbacoa recipe and that’s when I found Tasteslovely on IG. This recipe was super easy to follow and the ingredients are fairly minimal. I loved the flavor so much but I did make a mistake by adding too much salt. I also think there was too much ‘juice’ leftover in my InstantPot after it was done but maybe I also added too much water/stock when cooking. Either way, I simply drained some off and all was good. I plan to make this again this week for taco night.
So glad you enjoyed it Sarah!
This is phenomenal! Went to this recipe after making and loving the Carnitas – Tasteslovely made my Whole30 a lot tastier and I’m making the dishes now post-Whole30 as well.
I am so happy that my recipes helped you with your Whole30 journey Kelly. I just love that you have continued to make them after you completed Whole30. That is such a compliment! :)