Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Moroccan Short Ribs
Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Moroccan Short Ribs Recipe + Video – tender beef short ribs cooked in an orange, cinnamon + balsamic flavored broth. Perfect for a dinner party or date night in! Paleo, low carb, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
If you’re looking for a beyond delicious whole30 + keto recipe to make for a dinner party or date night in, you’ve come to the right place!
These whole30 + keto instant pot moroccan braised short ribs taste so good, you’ll think you’re dining at a 5 star restaurant.
Make Ahead Short Ribs
The best part about this recipe, is it is actually tastier and easier if you make it the day before! When you cook short ribs, a lot of fat renders off into the delicious cooking liquid. If you make it the night before, you can refrigerate the cooking liquid and easily scrape off all the fat.
Then, the day of your dinner party or big date, you just take the short ribs out of the fridge, put them back in the instant pot along with the cooking liquid, and SLOW COOK for up to 4 hours. No last minute scrambling or cooking!
How Many Short Ribs Per Serving?
The main star of the show are the beef short ribs. I get pasture raised beef short ribs at Whole Foods.
Depending on the size of the short ribs, I’ll get either 1 or 2 per person. If they’re huge, you’ll only need 1. If they’re small or medium size, plan on getting 2. The meat shrinks down by over half during cooking, and remember a majority of it is bone.
Moroccan Short Rib Sauce
You are going to want to drink this short rib sauce! It has so much flavor.
It is made with chicken stock (I use chicken flavor because I make my own. If you have beef broth use that! Or store bought!), orange juice, orange zest, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste + cinnamon. Along with carrots, onions and celery. The combination of the orange and balsamic acid with the deep beef + tomato paste, with the cinnamon…yum!
Serving Whole30 + Keto Instant Pot Moroccan Short Ribs
I love serving my short ribs over mashed cauliflower to keep it keto + whole30. It is the perfect pairing.
Along with lots of the cooking liquid and some fresh orange zest garnish. Delicious!
Watch How To Make Moroccan Short Ribs (8:55 mins)
- 8 beef short ribs, patted dry (if the short ribs are huge, you only need 1 per person)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, whole
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- zest of 1 large orange
- juice of 1 large orange
- 4 cups (32 oz) beef broth or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- mashed cauliflower and orange zest for serving (love this zest peeler)
- Heat your instant pot to SAUTE. Season the short ribs generously with salt + pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the instant pot and brown the short ribs 3 or 4 at a time on all sides until golden brown. About 5 minutes per side. Work in batches so you don’t overcrowd the instant pot.
- After all the short ribs are browned, remove all but 1 tablespoon of the rendered drippings. To it, add the carrot, celery, onion and garlic to the instant pot. Saute in the drippings. Pour in 1 cup of the stock, and scrape up any brown bits at the bottom.
- Add in the rest of the stock, tomato paste, orange juice, orange zest, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon + bay leaf. Stir to combine.
- Add the short ribs back to the instant pot.
- Close with the lid, and make sure the vent is at SEALING. Hit CANCEL, then cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 45 minutes. Will take about 15-20 minutes to reach pressure, then it will start counting down from 45. After the 45 minutes is up, do a QUICK RELEASE, where you move the valve to VENTING to release all the steam. Once all the steam is gone and the float valve has dropped, you can safely open the instant pot.
- Gently remove the short ribs from the instant pot. They will be very tender, and may fall off the bone.
- Once all the short ribs are removed, strain the sauce to remove all the vegetables. Discard the cooked vegetables.
- If you are making this the day before: Put the short ribs in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight. Put the sauce in a separate air tight container (I use quart mason jars) and refrigerate overnight. The next day, scrape all the hardened fat off the top of the cooking liquid. Return the short ribs and cooking liquid to the instant pot. Press SLOW COOK for 4 hours to reheat.
- If you are making this the day of: Return the short ribs to the instant pot. Put the cooking liquid in a fat separator or let it sit in a quart mason jar until the fat settles to the top. Spoon it off and discard. Return the fat skimmed cooking liquid to the instant pot. Press SLOW COOK for at least 30 minutes to rewarm before serving, or up to 4 hours.
- Serve warm over mashed cauliflower, with the cooking sauce spooned on top. Garnish with orange zest.
- Leftovers will keep in an airtight container refrigerated for at least 5 days, or frozen for at least 6 months.
Here is the post for the slow cooker version of this recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!