Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken Thighs
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken Thighs Recipe + Video – crispy chicken thighs served with a low carb + dairy free creamy mustard sauce. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
Just look at those ultra crispy chicken thighs! The only thing better is that creamy mustard sauce.
This is healthy comfort food at its finest.
Table of Contents
How to Get Crispy Skin Chicken
My favorite cut of chicken might be bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. The bone keeps the meat flavorful and juicy. The skin gets crispy and irresistible. I always use my organic, hormone + antibiotic free ButcherBox chickens, which I highly recommend!
To get ultimate crispy skin, I use my crispy chicken thigh hack of roasting them in the oven. They turn out perfect every time, and no mess!
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Sauce
The real star of the show is the creamy mustard sauce! It’s a mixture of chicken stock, dijon mustard, cashew cream, and thickened slightly with arrowroot starch. Arrowroot starch is a grain free, whole30 + keto friendly thickener that replaces corn starch.
Watch Chicken Thighs Recipe Demo (3:50 mins)
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken
Crispy Chicken Thighs
- 6 skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Creamy Mustard Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, or tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, link to homemade, store bought works too
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream, link to homemade, could sub Nutpods Original flavor or heavy cream if not Whole30
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh thyme for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set in the wire rack.
- Pat the chicken thighs completely dry, and season both sides with salt + pepper. Place on the wire rack, and roast for 45 minutes, or until crispy + golden brown. Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken thighs are resting, make the creamy mustard sauce. In a small bowl or mason jar, combine the chicken stock, dijon mustard and cashew cream. Stir to combine.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Melt the ghee, then add the arrowroot starch, whisking constantly until bubbling, about 30 seconds. While whisking constantly, pour in the premixed chicken stock, dijon mustard and cashew cream. Allow to warm and thicken for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt. Add more chicken stock if you want a thinner sauce.
- Serve warm with the chicken thighs and creamy mustard sauce. Garnish with fresh thyme. I love these served with my creamy mashed cauliflower and sauteed mushrooms!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!