Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken Thighs
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken Thighs Recipe + Video – crispy chicken thighs served with a low carb + dairy free creamy mustard sauce. Paleo, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
Just look at those ultra crispy chicken thighs! The only thing better is that creamy mustard sauce.
This is healthy comfort food at its finest.
Table of Contents
How to Get Crispy Skin Chicken
My favorite cut of chicken might be bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. The bone keeps the meat flavorful and juicy. The skin gets crispy and irresistible. I always use my organic, hormone + antibiotic free ButcherBox chickens, which I highly recommend!
To get ultimate crispy skin, I use my crispy chicken thigh hack of roasting them in the oven. They turn out perfect every time, and no mess!
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Sauce
The real star of the show is the creamy mustard sauce! It’s a mixture of chicken stock, dijon mustard, cashew cream, and thickened slightly with arrowroot starch. Arrowroot starch is a grain free, whole30 + keto friendly thickener that replaces corn starch.
I love serving this with my mashed cauliflower and some sauteed mushrooms for a cozy, comforting, healthy dinner.
Watch Chicken Thighs Recipe Demo (3:50 mins)
Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken
Crispy Chicken Thighs
- 6 skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Creamy Mustard Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, or tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, link to homemade, store bought works too
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cashew cream, link to homemade, could sub Nutpods Original flavor or heavy cream if not Whole30
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh thyme for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set in the wire rack.
- Pat the chicken thighs completely dry, and season both sides with salt + pepper. Place on the wire rack, and roast for 45 minutes, or until crispy + golden brown. Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken thighs are resting, make the creamy mustard sauce. In a small bowl or mason jar, combine the chicken stock, dijon mustard and cashew cream. Stir to combine.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Melt the ghee, then add the arrowroot starch, whisking constantly until bubbling, about 30 seconds. While whisking constantly, pour in the premixed chicken stock, dijon mustard and cashew cream. Allow to warm and thicken for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt. Add more chicken stock if you want a thinner sauce.
- Serve warm with the chicken thighs and creamy mustard sauce. Garnish with fresh thyme. I love these served with my creamy mashed cauliflower and sauteed mushrooms!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
20 Comments on “Whole30 + Keto Creamy Mustard Chicken Thighs”
Honestly never thought it could be so easy to cook chicken thighs so perfectly – crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. The sauce just takes it to the next level, and have leftover chicken for lunches. Yum! Thank you!
Ah! This makes me SO happy! I love to hear this! Honored to have you here, Alina!
So easy, so yummy and so super quick. Thanks so much for your wonderful recipes. Congratulations on your newborn baby as well.
Love to hear that it was easy, yummy and quick to make Michelle. Yeah! Thanks for your well wishes about our new little guy. We are so blessed! :)
Does the nutrition include the mushrooms and cauliflower mash
The nutritional info is for the thighs and sauce only Shundrea. I sure hope you like it!
Absolutely delicious dish! The creamy mustard sauce is on point!
I am so glad you liked my chicken thighs Amanda! I agree, I just love the mustard sauce!
The mustard sauce was to die for! And the baking the chicken on a wire rack is a game changer! Thanks for another great recipe!
I am so happy you liked my chicken thighs Laura. Isn’t the sauce just yummy? I am so glad you liked cooking them on a wire rack. Best way for crispy skin!
Hi Natalie! Is there something that I can substitute for cashew cream that’s still whole 30? I seen to be allergic to cashews.
You can substitute a few different things for the cashew cream. You can use Nutpods original flavor, coconut milk, almond milk or if you are not avoiding dairy you can use heavy cream.
Your cashew cream is a life changer. I always whip up a batch and keep it in the fridge to prepare me for the week. This dish was amazing and the chicken skin came out perfectly crispy! I practically drank the Dijon mustard sauce it was so good. Haha. This will definitely be a recipe I will make again and again!
Hi Cynthia – I am so happy that you liked this! Isn’t the cashew cream just the best? I could also drink the Dijon mustard sauce. I am so thrilled that this recipe has made it into your rotation.
For crispness it’s really important not to skip the part where you pay them very dry! Great chicken:).
I agree Anna! When I learned the trick of patting try proteins prior to cooking, it was a game changer for me. I love, love crispy skin!
This will be a perfect Sunday meal. Thank you for sharing! ♥️
I am so happy you liked this Ellie! I so agree, it’s the perfect Sunday meal.
This is amazing ! Thanks for sharing :)
So glad you liked this Maria!