Winter Albondigas – a Mexican flavored soup with butternut squash, meatballs, and shredded cabbage. A quick and delicious soup ready in less than 45 minutes that is Paleo, gluten free, dairy free and Whole30!
Dinner time at our house has gotten…interesting.
Interesting is the nice way to put it. I’d actually call it chaotic.
Josh goes down for an evening nap around 4:30pm, if he’s being perfect for me. But sometimes he won’t fall asleep until closer to 5:00pm. And most likely he won’t want to sleep unless I am holding him the whole time.
Shawn comes home from work for dinner for 30 minutes at 5:30pm.
On good days, I have a good hour to cook dinner while Josh is asleep in his bassinet. On crazy days, I have maybe 30 minutes to make dinner WHILE I’m holding Josh. It feels like there are a lot more crazy days than good days.
Did I mention Josh eats again at 6:00pm? 5:00-6:00pm can feel like the perfect storm of juggling naps and food for all of us. Usually ending with me eating a cold dinner.
On one particularly insane day, I had no dinner planned, and nothing in the fridge to cook for us. Which meant I would have to actually go to the grocery store, on a rainy day, with a baby. No!
Enter the heaven sent Sun Basket, who delivered 3 delicious meals straight to my door that afternoon, including this winter albondigas with shredded cabbage. Lifesaver!
Sun Basket is a new healthy meal kit service that delivers organic ingredients and delicious, easy-to-make recipes for cooking at home. I love that this meal plan service is healthy! They use all organic non-GMO produce from the best West Coast farms, and use sustainably sourced, hormone-free meats and seafood. They always have paleo, gluten free and vegetarian options to choose from, and best for me are dairy free options!
They currently ship to CA, OR, WA, CO, UT, AZ, NV and ID. Perfect for all my fellow West Coasters. The meals are carefully packaged to stay fresh in the box for 8 hours after delivery, are 100% recyclable packaging, and they offer free delivery and free return shipping so they can recycle and reuse the materials.
You guys, these meals are d e l i c i o u s. All the recipes are created by Executive Chef Justine Kelly, formerly head chef at a James Beard award-winning restaurant. Eating these meals makes me feel like I am tasting the chefs creations on Top Chef. Along with the this albondigas soup, I also got roast chicken and parsnips with Catalan salbitxada sauce and roasted pork loin with braised kale and pecan aillade. We’ve been eating like royalty!
Plus, the recipes are ready in around 30 minutes, come with all the ingredients pre-portioned for you, and with super easy to follow recipe cards.
Let’s be honest. As a new mom, I can use all the help I can get right now when it comes to meal planning, shopping and cooking. I’m a food lover who absolutely loves cooking and I’m *barely* getting dinner together. Moms who already hate cooking must be having an even harder time!
Save yourself the trouble, and sign up for Sun Basket and have dinner delivered straight to your door.
In the meantime, you can make this delicious winter albondigas soup with shredded cabbage tonight! This soup is full of Mexican flavor, and packed with winter vegetables. The carrots, onions and butternut squash get nice and tender in the soup, and then you top it with fresh, crunchy cabbage. The broth is delicious. But the best part of albondigas is the pork and beef meatballs, so tender and juicy. I love my albondigas topped with tons of cilantro and fresh lime juice.
With how tasty this soup is, you would never guess this soup is as healthy as can be. Dairy free, gluten free, paleo and Whole30!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 3/4 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces ground beef (I get my beef from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- 6 ounces ground pork (I get my pork from ButcherBox, which I highly recommend)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces napa cabbage, sliced
- chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a sauce pot over medium-high heat, warm olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the onions, carrots, and squash. Season with salt and pepper and cover, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the tomato paste, stirring to coat the vegetables. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the soup slightly thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and pork. Add the egg, spices, salt, pepper and cilantro. Mix well until combined.
- Using wet hands, form the meatball mixture into 2-inch diameter balls. Makes about 16 meatballs.
- Add the meatballs to the soup. Bring the soup back to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the meatballs are just slightly pink in the center, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve the soup warm and top with cilantro and cabbage. Serve with lime wedges.
recipe via SunBasket
More Soup Recipes
This post is sponsored by Sun Basket. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support me!
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!