BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
I have a great end-of-summer salad recipe for you guys.
It comes together in just 20 minutes, so it’s a perfect weeknight meal.
It’s so simple. Here’s some of what you’ll need:
Before I’ve added in black beans, avocado, bell pepper and mozzarella cheese. If you have those on hand, add them in! If not, all you really need is tomatoes, scallions, roasted corn, tortilla chips and romaine lettuce. Oh! And BBQ sauce, ranch dressing and 1 chicken breast.
What makes this salad even easier was my recent discovery of frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe’s. Thaw by running it under cool water for a minute and you get to enjoy it’s summery, smokey, charred flavor without the work of having to roast the corn yourself. Isn’t Trader Joe’s is the best?
If you don’t have frozen roasted corn, plain frozen corn or roasted off the cobb is fine too.
Now it’s time to prep the chicken. For the 2 of us, we split 1 chicken breast. Slice the chicken in half by placing your palm (and bright pink nails) on top of the chicken and slowly run your knife horizontally along the center. And like magic, one chicken breast becomes two. *wink*
Salt and pepper the chicken breast, and give them a light coating in olive oil so they don’t stick to the grill. Then, on your preheated BBQ
grill have your husband grill the chicken breasts until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. When the chicken is about 1 minute from being done, coat both sides of the chicken breasts in your favorite BBQ sauce. We’re KC Masterpiece folks around here. Finish cooking for 1 minute, remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes before cutting in to strips.
Assemble the salad by drizzling the romaine lettuce, scallions and tomatoes with ranch dressing.
Then top with corn, sliced BBQ chicken breast and tortilla chips.
Then, to make it extra irresistible, drizzle BBQ sauce on top of the chicken.
Mix it all together, and dig in.
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 15 grape tomatoes halved
- 2 scallions chopped
- 1/2 bag of frozen roasted corn thawed
- Handful of tortilla chips
- 1 chicken breast halved
- BBQ sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Slice chicken in half by placing your palm on top of the chicken and slowly running your knife horizontally along the center. Salt and pepper chicken, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill chicken on BBQ until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. When 1 minute away from being done, coat in BBQ sauce and finish cooking, flipping once or twice to cook sauce in to chicken.
- Remove from heat, let rest for a few minutes, then slice in to strips.
- Assemble romaine lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and corn in a large bowl, toss with ranch dressing.
- Portion salad on to plates, top with warm chicken, and drizzle extra BBQ sauce on top of chicken. Serve with crushed tortilla chips on top.
Nutrition facts are calculated as a courtesy and not guaranteed.