Easy, 1 skillet chicken and mushroom fricassee. A one pan dinner of tender chicken topped with a savory mushroom and sour cream sauce.
I think I was the laziest I have ever been on Sunday. Shawn and I watched 5 movies in 24 hours. No, that is not a typo. Five movies. On the couch, wrapped in blankets, listening to the rain outside. It was perfection.
It was very justified after a jam packed holiday weekend. Thursday was Thanksgiving Day #1 at Shawn’s aunt house, Friday was Thanksgiving Day #2 at my parents house, and Saturday was filming our last wedding of the season. We woke up Sunday lazy, a little sore from standing for 11 hours the day before, and excited that it was raining out. We stayed in our pajamas all day and watched movies back to back. I only stood up to cook us food.
On cozy, lazy days I crave comfort food, but easy ones. Otherwise, I’ll just end up ordering pizza. This chicken and mushroom fricassee is perfect for lazy Sundays. It’s a 1 skillet dinner, which means minimal clean up. Which means I can get back on the couch even sooner.
The mushroom sauce in the chicken and mushroom fricassee is silky and flavorful, made with wine, sour cream, parsley and brightened up with lemon juice. Just a little bit of stirring, and a lot of simmering. Especially good served with my mashed carrots.Print
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, caps wiped clean and cut 1/4″ thick
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 medium garlic clove, grated or minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Pat the chicken dry, and lightly pound the chicken breast to an even layer using a meat mallet (or a metal ladle). Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium high heat. Add the butter and olive oil, and cook the chicken on 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Add the mushrooms, onions and wine to the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are browned, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and flour, and stir for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth to the mushroom mixture, scraping up the browned bits. Add the chicken back to the skillet, cover with a lid and cook until the chicken is cooked thru to 165 degrees, about 5-10 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and tent with foil.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the sour cream and egg yolk. Add in a ladle full of the mushroom mixture to the sour cream sauce, and whisk to temper. Then add the sour cream mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and parsley. Taste for salt and pepper. Pour the mushroom mixture over the chicken.
More 1 skillet dinners you’ll love: