Coconut Oil Chocolate Lava Cakes for 2
Dairy free coconut oil chocolate molten lava cakes for 2 – crispy outside, oooey gooey melted inside. This will definitely curb your chocolate craving. Made with coconut oil instead butter. And ready in less than 30 minutes!
This is the perfect Valentine’s Dessert that I must insist that you make for you and your sweetie!
These chocolate lava cakes (some call them melting cakes, some call them molten lava cakes) are packed with chocolate flavor, and have a gooey and delicious surprise once you cut inside.
I started working on this recipe last Valentine’s Day. Shawn and I had a 2 month old baby, and a night in sounded much easier and cozier than a fancy night out. (Or more likely, I couldn’t fathom doing my hair and makeup and fitting into my date night clothes. Ha!)
I made us a fancy dinner in, and wanted to follow it up with a sweet dessert. I was really craving molten lava cakes, since that is the dessert I normally order when we went on out on Valentine’s Day. I looked to a bunch of recipes online for lava cakes, and sort of combined all the best parts of them to be what would work for us. I wanted it to be a scaled down recipe just for 2 (I didn’t want a ton of sweets around the house that I would snack on), and it had to be dairy free since Josh had issues with dairy.
I tweaked and mashed together a few different versions, and the resulting lava cakes were just about perfect! The recipe was so good, and so EASY I found myself making these about once a week after Josh would go to bed. Nothing like a melty chocolate dessert to reward myself of getting the newborn to bed!
The biggest difference with these chocolate lava cakes is that I use coconut oil instead of butter. Not only does that make these dairy free, but it also adds a subtle sweetness that compliments the chocolate perfectly! It doesn’t add any coconut flavor, so don’t worry about that if you don’t like coconut. I actually like these better than ones made with butter.
I like serving mine with my coconut whipped cream (also dairy free!), and fresh berries.Print
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees with the oven rack in the middle. Rub two 6-oz glass Pyrex baking cups (linked to the ones I use in Notes) with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a small glass mixing bowl, combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave for 1 minute, and let stand.
- While the chocolate chips and coconut oil are standing, in a small mixing bowl add the egg, egg yolk, sugar and salt. Beat with a fork until combined.
- Stir to combine the melted coconut oil and chocolate chips.
- While stirring the egg mixture, slowly pour in the melted chocolate mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add the flour. Stir to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 cups, and put on a baking sheet. Bake for 13-14 minutes, until the cakes have puffed up and the outsides are set.
- Take out of the oven, and let the cakes sit in the cup for no longer than a minute (otherwise they’ll keep baking). Transfer the cakes to a plate. Serve right away while still warm with coconut whipped cream and berries.
-These 6-ounce Pyrex custard cups are perfect for these lava cakes
-You can make the batter ahead of time and refrigerate it in the pyrex cups! Just remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before baking to bring to room temperature, then bake as usual.
More Dairy Free Desserts:
Never Miss a Recipe!
Get new posts delivered straight to your inbox! For free!