The BEST Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese Substitute Recipe
This easy and delicious 5-minute dairy free ricotta cheese substitute is vegan, keto, and tastes just like the original! Creamy, tangy, perfect ricotta! Use this tasty “cheese” in your favorite Italian recipes– from savory dishes to sweet recipes, this versatile cheese is the best substitute!
Table of Contents
What is Ricotta Cheese?
Ricotta cheese is a fresh, creamy cheese made from the leftover whey from the production of other fresh cheeses such as mozzarella cheese or provolone. The whey is reheated, and then lemon juice is added to cause the remaining proteins to form curds. These curds are then strained, leaving behind the soft, slightly grainy ricotta cheese.
Ricotta is known for its mild, slightly sweet flavor. It’s a versatile cheese that works well in both sweet and savory dishes. It is commonly used in Italian cuisine, appearing in dishes like lasagna recipes, cannoli, and stuffed pasta dishes. Additionally, ricotta can be enjoyed on its own, spread on toast, or used as a topping for fruits and desserts.
What Makes This Recipe Great
If you’re dairy sensitive, have lactose intolerance, or have a dairy allergy, missing out on delicious recipes leaves you begging for vegan alternatives that have similar texture, flavor, and versatility as the original. Dairy-free options at the store are often expensive and hard to find. Well, I have good news for you! Enter the most amazing dairy-free ricotta cheese alternatives: my Homemade Dairy-Free Ricotta Substitute!
To make dairy-free ricotta, you typically need blanched whole almonds, but I didn’t have any on hand. As I was thinking about it, I realized that almond flour is exactly that: super fine blanched whole almonds!
So, making it even easier for you, I have created the yummiest dairy-free ricotta cheese recipe using the almond flour you probably already have in your pantry! Add in just a few more ingredients, blend them up, and that’s it! The most excellent substitute for this favorite creamy Italian cheese
Use this ricotta substitute in your favorite recipes like Dairy-Free Keto Lasagna, this delicious Whipped Ricotta dip, dessert toppings, or any other savory or sweet recipes that call for ricotta cheese! It has the same smooth texture, similar taste, and is a 1:1 replacement for whole milk ricotta. That means, 1 cup of ricotta cheese = 1 cup of this dairy-free ricotta alternative!
- 5 Minute Recipe
- Only 5 Ingredients
- The perfect ricotta cheese substitute: Similar flavor profile, mild taste, and fewer calories!
- 1:1 Replacement!
- Versatile ingredient
- Dairy-Free, Keto, and Vegan Diet Friendly
Watch The Recipe Video
Note: You can also watch this recipe video on YouTube.
- Almond Flour: Make sure you’re using almond flour, and not almond meal. Almond meal is made from whole almonds with the skin still on. All almond flour is made from blanched almonds. My favorite almond flours are the Costco Kirkland brand, Thrive Market, and Anthony’s.
- Lemon Juice: You could use white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or lime juice in place of lemon in a pinch. Same quantities. I prefer lemon juice.
- Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast gives that “cheesy” flavor to this ricotta substitute without adding any dairy. No substitutes for this sadly. If you don’t have it, you can leave it out. It won’t have as much of a cheesy flavor, more of a neutral, mild flavor.
Recipe Step by Step
- In a blender, combine the almond flour, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
- In your high-speed blender, blend on high for 60 seconds. Stop, scrape down and blend again.
- If needed, add up to another 1/4 cup of water (or more) to get your ricotta substitute to a smooth consistency. All almond flour moisture levels vary a bit. You want the consistency to be smooth and creamy like real ricotta cheese.
- How to Serve: Use as a 1:1 substitute for regular ricotta cheese. I love it on my keto dairy-free lasagna, or dolloped on top of pasta, as a dip, or dolloped on top of dairy-free pizzas. So many possibilities!
- Storage: Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Use within one week.
- Heating: You can heat this in the oven as I do in my dairy-free keto lasagna!
- Blender: I love my Vitamix. You *could* use your food processor, but it may take longer to blend and get it extra creamy.
I tried freezing this, and after thawing it was more crumbly. Wasn’t as smooth. But still edible! Worked fine with I made and froze a dairy-free lasagna using this ricotta substitute.
Yes! All ingredients in this recipe are vegan– no cow’s milk in this dairy-free alternative–so this is a great vegan ricotta cheese substitute.
Yes! There are just 2.5 net carbs per serving of this dairy free ricotta cheese substitute!
More Dairy Free Dips, Sauces, Dressings, & More!
Did you love this recipe? Thank you! Please rate this recipe and leave a review below. I respond to every one! Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and Facebook. Tag me if you try a recipe!
Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese Substitute
- In your high speed blender, blend on high for 60 seconds. Stop, and scrape down and blend again.
- If needed, add in up to another 1/4 cup of water (or more) to get your ricotta to a smooth consistency. All almond flours moisture level varies a bit. You want the consistency to be smooth and creamy like real ricotta.
- As always, lots of tips, FAQs and substitution info in the Recipe Notes!