Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese Substitute
This easy & delicious 5-minute dairy free ricotta cheese substitute is vegan, keto, and tastes just like the original! Creamy, tangy, perfect ricotta! Use this tasty “cheese” in your favorite Italian recipes.
Table of Contents
What Makes This Recipe Great
To make dairy-free ricotta, you typically need blanched whole almonds, but I didn’t have any on hand. As I was thinking about it, I realized that almond flour is exactly that, super fine blanched whole almonds!
So, making it even easier for you, I have created the yummiest dairy-free ricotta cheese recipe using the almond flour you probably already have in your pantry! Add in just a few more ingredients, blend them up, and that’s it!
- 5 Minute Recipe
- Only 5 Ingredients
- The perfect ricotta cheese substitute
- Dairy-Free & Keto
Watch The Recipe Video
Note: You can also watch this recipe video on YouTube.
Almond Flour: Make sure you’re using almond flour, and not almond meal. Almond meal is made from whole almonds with the skin still on. All almond flour is made from blanched almonds. My favorite almond flours are the Costco Kirkland brand, Thrive Market, and Anthony’s.
Lemon Juice: You could use white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or lime juice in place of lemon in a pinch. Same quantities. I prefer lemon juice.
Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast gives that “cheesy” flavor to this ricotta substitute without adding any dairy. No substitutes for this sadly. If you don’t have it, you can leave it out. Won’t have as much of a cheesy flavor, more of a neutral, mild flavor.
Recipe Step by Step
- In a blender, combine the almond flour, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, kosher salt, and garlic powder.
- In your high-speed blender, blend on high for 60 seconds. Stop, scrape down and blend again.
- If needed, add up to another 1/4 cup of water (or more) to get your ricotta substitute to a smooth consistency. All almond flour moisture levels vary a bit. You want the consistency to be smooth and creamy like real ricotta cheese.
How to Serve: Use as a 1:1 substitute for regular ricotta cheese. I love it on my keto dairy-free lasagna, or dolloped on top of pasta, as a dip, or dolloped on top of dairy-free pizzas. So many possibilities!
Storage: Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Use within one week.
Heating: You can heat this in the oven as I do in my dairy-free keto lasagna!
I tried freezing this, and after thawing it was more crumbly. Wasn’t as smooth. But still edible! Worked fine with I made and froze a dairy-free lasagna using this ricotta substitute.
Yes! All ingredients in this recipe are vegan, so this is a great vegan ricotta cheese substitute.
Yes! There are just 2.5 net carbs per serving of this dairy free ricotta cheese substitute!
More Dairy Free Recipes
Did you love this recipe? Thank you! Please rate this recipe and leave a review below. I respond to every one! Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, and Facebook. Tag me if you try a recipe!
Dairy Free Ricotta Cheese Substitute
- In a blender, combine the almond flour, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, kosher salt and garlic powder.
- In your high speed blender, blend on high for 60 seconds. Stop, and scrape down and blend again.
- If needed, add in up to another 1/4 cup of water (or more) to get your ricotta to a smooth consistency. All almond flours moisture level varies a bit. You want the consistency to be smooth and creamy like real ricotta.
- Transfer to an airtight container. Will keep in an airtight container for 1 week.
- As always, lots of tips, FAQs and substitution info in the Recipe Notes!