Whole30 + Keto Italian Sausage + Kale Vegetable Soup
Whole30 + Keto Italian Sausage and Kale Vegetable Soup Recipe + Video – a delicious and healthy clean eating soup dinner recipe! Paleo, low carb, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, sugar free, clean eating, real food.
Hello and welcome to winter.
Need a cozy, warm, wholesome bowl of soup? Pull up a chair. I’ve got just what you need.
My bones crave soup in the winter months.
This italian sausage and vegetable soup is a healthy swap out for this original version that had orzo and was topped with parmesan cheese. One of my favorite challenges is to make healthier, whole30 and keto versions of my older favorite recipes. This one was an important one to tackle since it is hands down, no contest my husbands favorite soup. His mom made it for him growing up, and he requests it almost weekly in the winter.
Ingredients in Whole30 + Keto Sausage Soup
The ingredients and cooking method are so simple. Brown off some italian sausage (read your label to make sure it’s whole30 compliant!). Throw in some onions, carrots, celery, zucchini and garlic. Then add in some canned tomatoes, bay leaf, thyme and chicken stock. Let it simmer until the vegetables are soft and your house smells amazing.
5 minutes before serving, stir in a whole bunch of chopped kale. You will instantly feel healthier and wholesome.
After all the indulgent holiday food, this soup will feel like a detox.
It will nourish your soul, and you will taste the goodness and love.
You will also love how many meals this soup will provide you. It serves 8. I like to make it for dinner, then enjoy it for lunch the rest of the week. I never get sick of it.
Even better is how healthy it is. Paleo, whole30, keto, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, dairy free, clean eating, real food.
Watch Sausage Soup Recipe Demo Video (2:08 mins)
- 1 pound sweet italian sausage (spicy works too if you like!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely minced
- 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 cups chicken stock (64 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- 2 teaspoons salt + pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch of kale, stem removed and leaves chopped
- Heat your dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, then add the whole sausage links. Cook for 3-5 minutes until browned on one side, then flip and cook another 3-5 minutes. Remove the sausages, and transfer to a plate to cool while you cook the vegetables. (The sausages won’t be cooked through, they will finish cooking in the soup.
- In the same dutch oven in the remaining olive oil and fat drippings from the sausages, add the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the dutch oven, until the vegetables have softened.
- Once the sausages have cooled enough to handle, slice the sausages into half moons. Return to the soup along with the can of diced tomatoes, dried thyme, bay leaf and chicken stock.
- Simmer the soup over medium heat for 30-45 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and the sausages are cooked through. Turn off the heat, and add the kale. Allow the kale to cook off the heat and the soup to cool for 5 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper, adjust seasoning if needed. Serve warm.
- Leftovers will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
This post contains affiliate links, thanks for the love!